Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Mike Billman <mi...@qcsoftware.com> on 2019/03/26 17:58:23 UTC

NB11 Question

I am using the built in gradle support in testing NB11.  We have the following directory structure

+root
-+Src
-+Angular
-+webui

The root directory opens up as a gradle project.  The webui directory should open up as a javascript project, but it is trying to open it as a sub-project for gradle.  Trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong or if this might be a bug in the gradle support.

Thanks!

Mike Billman
Senior Software Engineer
CPTE

[qclogo]

11800 Conrey Rd
Suite 150
Cincinnati, OH 45249

T +1 513 469 1424
E mikebillman@qcsoftware.com<ma...@qcsoftware.com>
F +1 513 469 1425

Re: NB11 Question

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
> On Apr 3, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Mike Billman <mi...@qcsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Figured out what was causing this...conflicting files.  At one point, we had a build.gradle file in the same directory so that a gradle command could be issue to build the webui into our local environment.  That is no longer needed, so I deleted that file and it behaves as I would expect it.

This is pointing out a general issue I’d like to focus on at some point “fairly” soon in NB which is the ability to blend builds and projects. As an example, Gradle is a build tool, not just Java specific, and as such one can use it for Angular projects with Gradle plugins which will make sure the proper Node and NPM etc are setup and installed in a special cached way to allow for easier consistent builds with nothing more than a JDK and a Gradle wrapper. This is super handy; both for QA and backend devs to work together with front-end folks. Of course then, one needs to be able to work on both the Node and Gradle projects; blended. This project structure can include C++ and even Python. We are currently blending Gradle and Python, but at some point will also have Angular & Node in the mix.

This is a similar usage in the DotNet world to using Cake as a general purpose build tool.

Wade

RE: NB11 Question

Posted by Mike Billman <mi...@qcsoftware.com>.
Figured out what was causing this...conflicting files.  At one point, we had a build.gradle file in the same directory so that a gradle command could be issue to build the webui into our local environment.  That is no longer needed, so I deleted that file and it behaves as I would expect it.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Posted by Mike Billman <mi...@qcsoftware.com>.
Thanks, Laszlo.  Will do.