Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Peter Shipley <ps...@nomensa.com> on 2004/07/17 19:26:06 UTC

[OT] Maven project

http://maven.apache.org

Has anyone looked at this for source project management and what it
might be like to use with Lenya ?

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by Peter Shipley <ps...@nomensa.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:26, Peter Shipley wrote:
>>
>>> http://maven.apache.org
>>>
>>> Has anyone looked at this for source project management and what it
>>> might be like to use with Lenya ?
>>

>> Jep. Maven is really build glue. I did some maven projects the last
>> time.
>> I think Lenya could be "mavenized" too, but it would be quite some work.
>

> Would this mean to exchange our build process?
> If yes, what are the benefits?

As I understand it Maven would integrate the lenya build process (maybe
some refactoring here and there) into a maven container. I think all the
  unit tests would have to be changed !?

What work would be involved ? I have not looked to closely but if you
have had some experience with it ...

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 20:48, Mark Lundquist wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>         Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>                 On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:26, Peter Shipley wrote:
>                         http://maven.apache.org
>
>                         Has anyone looked at this for source project
>                         management and what itmight be like to use
>                         with Lenya ?
>                 Jep. Maven is really build glue. I did some maven
>                 projectsthe last
>                 time. I think Lenya could be "mavenized" too, but it
>                 would be quitesome work.
>
>         Would this mean to exchange our build process?
>         If yes, what are the benefits?
>
> DISCLAIMER: I have not used maven.  I have just been reading a
> lotabout it of late... interested in maybe starting to use it.
>
> But anyway... to me, centralized management of dependency jars is
> oneof the more compelling aspects of maven.

Exactly.

Another cool thing is that u do not need to write ant targets for each
new project to compile, deploy etc.

I think it  would be possible to use maven in Lenya, but atm this seems
to have more academic value for us than any _hard_ advantages.

And Thorsten Scherler is right, atm we do not have the resources, or
better said, there are more important issues like svn and 1.2.1.

However, volunteers to work on a maven port are very welcome.

An idea is maybe to develop maven plugins to deploy and create
publications etc. Or to export sites:

- maven lenya:pub-deploy
- maven lenya:export

blabla.

--
Rolf Kulemann

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

[...]
> That said, that may or may not be an overpowering reason to switch any
> given project to Maven... :-)
>
> ~ml

Sounds really sweet, but as well like a lot of work.

I reckon if nobody have experience to switch to maven it will be not a
good idea. We still have heaps of bugzilla entries and work for
1.2.1/1.4. Besides that it seems that we will leave the incubator very
soon. Switching to Maven would delay all this because it will consume
resources that we ATM do not have.

my 2 cents

king regards
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@m...@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Scherler
</...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Jul 17, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Rolf Kulemann wrote:
>> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:26, Peter Shipley wrote:
>>> http://maven.apache.org
>>>
>>> Has anyone looked at this for source project management and what it
>>> might be like to use with Lenya ?
>> Jep. Maven is really build glue. I did some maven projects the last
>> time. I think Lenya could be "mavenized" too, but it would be quite
>> some work.
>
> Would this mean to exchange our build process?
> If yes, what are the benefits?

DISCLAIMER: I have not used maven.  I have just been reading a lot
about it of late... interested in maybe starting to use it.

But anyway... to me, centralized management of dependency jars is one
of the more compelling aspects of maven.  In a traditional Java/Ant
project, the issue of how to obtain/store/reference jars for all the
other projects I depend on is totally ad hoc.  Typically you end up
with a butt-load of copies of xalan.jar, xercesImpl.jar, hibernate.jar,
etc., etc. all laying around in various project build areas.

In Maven, you declare your dependencies, and Maven gets the jars from
the ibiblio.org repository.  Better yet, they then go into a your own
systemwide local repository where all your projects can share them.

This Just Makes Sense.

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:26, Peter Shipley wrote:
>
>>http://maven.apache.org
>>
>>Has anyone looked at this for source project management and what it
>>might be like to use with Lenya ?
>

> Jep. Maven is really build glue. I did some maven projects the last
> time.
>
> I think Lenya could be "mavenized" too, but it would be quite some work.

Would this mean to exchange our build process?
If yes, what are the benefits?

-- Andreas

Re: [OT] Maven project

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2004-07-17 at 18:26, Peter Shipley wrote:
> http://maven.apache.org
>
> Has anyone looked at this for source project management and what it
> might be like to use with Lenya ?

Jep. Maven is really build glue. I did some maven projects the last
time.

I think Lenya could be "mavenized" too, but it would be quite some work.

Since maven sits on top of ant, a step by step "mavenizing" of Lenya
would be possible.

Any volunteers?

--
Rolf Kulemann