Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Hamid Reza Shahriari <sh...@peik.bol.sharif.ac.ir> on 1998/09/10 09:23:08 UTC

Apache Performance Improvement

Hi all,

    I'm new member in mailing list. I am working on Apache performance
improvement. My profiling of Apache 1.3b3 on Linux 2.0.30 on Pentium
with gprof tool shows that directory checking and URI processing spend
nearly 27% of total time. ( Clients were SPECweb96.)

    It includes directory_walk(main bottleneck), translate_name,
check_access,
file_walk, location_walk. If we can cache r->per_dir_config, server
performance
can be improved. But per_dir_config is so complex and has unknown size,
because each module can have a per_dir_config as an entry in
r->per_dir_config
with different types.

Do you know how can we cache per_dir_config?

Thanks
--Hamid R. Shahriari

Re: Apache Performance Improvement

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Hamid Reza Shahriari wrote:

>     Does newer versions (1.3 and 1.3.1) improve performance?

Yes.

> No, I don't  have. Also my config files don't have any <File ...>,
> <Location ...>  and <Directory ...> sections.

Read the perf_tuning docs, you'll save yourself a lot of time.

Dean

Re: Apache Performance Improvement

Posted by Hamid Reza Shahriari <sh...@peik.bol.sharif.ac.ir>.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.