Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> on 2013/02/13 06:47:34 UTC

Re: Difference between -put command and Hive Load command?

Please send Hive-relevant questions to the Hive's user community lists
(user@hive.apache.org) instead of me directly. For more details read
http://hive.apache.org/mailing_lists.html#Users. I've added the list
in my response here, please carry forward discussions on the lists :-)

Neither is faster than the other, and both use the same underlying FS
implementations.

What -put does is a copy from local FS to HDFS. This would almost be
what Hive's "LOAD DATA [LOCAL]" command does as well. If your data is
already on HDFS, then "LOAD DATA"'s operation would be akin to doing a
"fs -mv" operation, which is what may have led you to believe it is
"faster" in comparison.

--
Harsh J