Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/06/12 14:51:17 UTC

Maven GUMP Failure for Fortress-Container

Leo, congrats on your hard work.  It appears that you are missing
a dependency on Instrument-Manager.

Are the new GUMP definitions in the GUMP CVS or are they generated
dynamically?  If they are generated dynamically, could you give
me a rundown so that I can help you with the process?

Re: Maven GUMP Failure for Fortress-Container

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Leo, congrats on your hard work.

:D

>  It appears that you are missing
> a dependency on Instrument-Manager.

(...) Ah, yes, apparently so!

> Are the new GUMP definitions in the GUMP CVS or are they generated
> dynamically?  If they are generated dynamically, could you give
> me a rundown so that I can help you with the process?

most of the process is described and implemented in
buildsystem/maven.xml and buildsystem/maven-common.xml. Basically,
there's a maven target ('avalon:seed-build.xml') that generates
build.xml files for any project build by maven (whereas a project is
defined as anything with a 'project.xml' file), which I've hand-modified
in some places, then committed to cvs
(avalon/fortress/container/build.xml for example). Then there is a goal
'avalon:seed-gump' which creates
avalon/buildsystem/gump-integration/project/$projectid.xml, which I've
done, again hand-modified (Because the generation is not exactly
perfect, the main issue is that gump project id != maven project id) and
committed to cvs. Then you can run 'avalon:seed-gump-module' (or
whatever I named it) inside avalon/buildsystem to auto-generate
avalon/buildsystem/gump-integration/project/avalon.xml, which just reads
the contents of that directory and writes a lot of <project href=""/>
stuff. This is again committed to cvs.

Then in jakarta-gump/lsd.xml, there's a <module href=""/> that
references that module file in our cvs. This makes the build run on
lsd.student.utwente.nl (but not the other gump installations).

To add the dependency, modify
avalon/buildsystem/gump-integration/project/avalon-fortress-container.xml
like any other gump dependency and commit.

The process is far from perfect; an impression of what needs to be done
is in the maven-gump-plugin in maven cvs; unfortunately that plugin
appears to be broken at the moment.

would be nice if, besides fixing descriptors, you could help document
this by modifying the avalon:info goal inside buildsystem/maven.xml :D

cheers!

-Leo