Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Jimmy Little <Ji...@mindspring.com> on 2001/12/14 19:56:28 UTC

Caveats - dbXML-XMLRPC on Mandrake Linux 8.0

Before getting to my questions and problems I'll offer the following
caveats in the hope that future novices to this product may suffer
less.

I am using the downloaded version of dbXML (1.04b) not the CVS
version with JDK 1.3.1.01.

This is a Mandrake Linux v8.0 system.

1 - Use JDK 1.3 not the 1.4beta.  The 1.4 partially worked, the server
would run and the dbxml[admin] commands worked, but the XMLRPC tests
gave 1 failure and 2 errors.  The tests worked correctly with 1.3.

2 - With Mandrake 8.0 and JDK 1.3 issue the command 'ulimit -s 2048'
prior to starting the dbXML server and before any other java related
command (like running the XMLRPC tests.)  Errors you might get include
a core dump (on the start for the dbXML server) or a segmentation
fault (when running the XMLRPC tests.)  Note that this applies to
other Linux systems besides Mandrake Linux 8.0 - see the Java.Sun.com
site for details (most recently at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/install-linux-sdk.html)

3 - The start script in $DBXML_HOME checks the file config/dbxml.pid
to determine if a dbXML server is already running.  If you don't take
down the server properly (or for some other reason have this file
lying around) it will not start the server.  Just delete the file if
the specified process doesn't really exist.

4 - The dbXML-XMLRPC/docs/README file says to "Copy the
helma-xmlrpc.jar and dbxml-xmlrpc.jar file" to the java/lib.  This
means (I assume) to copy the dbxml-xmlrpc-0.5.1.jar file.  These files
are in the lib directory.

5 - To test the dbXML-XMLRPC server you run the 'ant tests'.  This
must be executed from the dbXML-XMLRPC directory where you will find
the build.xml file and the tests directory.

6 - In order for the XMLRPC 'ant tests' to work correctly and not
report and error you must not have any extraneous documents in the
rpctests collection.  If you add a document before running the tests
you will receive an error.

Hope this helps someone.

Jimmy Little
(828) 835-8350
mailto:Jimmy-Little@mindspring.com
"No matter how bad things get you got to go on living, even if it
 kills you."
 --Sholom Aleichem