Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Manav <ma...@Glue.umd.edu> on 2002/08/30 01:19:52 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache for user account

I want each user of my linux box to have his/her own httpd server. I
installed apache and created a /apache dir in all the user home
directories. Furthermore I  put in httpd.conf and created ~/apache/logs
~/apache/modules (and copied all the modules needed).

I then edited the httpd.conf in each user home by editing the following
lines

ServerRoot=/home/user1/apache
LockFile /home/user1/apache/httpd.lock
PidFile /home/user1/apache/httpd.pid

and I put a bin in /usr/bin/httpd which is supposed to pick the httpd.conf
from the user home.

Do you think this scheme will work? where users can start/restart their
own independent servers?

thanks.
manav

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for user account

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

That's the one I was after: mod_userdir ;)

Sorry, barely awake here.

Chris Taylor - chris@x-bb.org - The guy with the PS2 WebServer -
http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

I'm not *sure* if this is what you want, but ./configure --help
lists:

- --localstatedir=DIR : modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]

I would guess you need to recompile Apache, changing it to each
user's home directory.

Something like:

./configure --prefix=/usr/bob/apache

would probably be it, given that the above "localstatedir" implies
that the PID is kept under <apache-dir>/var.

I have my Apache "prefix"ed into /usr/local/apache2 and my PID file
lives in logs/ :) Which seems to contradict common sense.

Either way, if you use --prefix then the httpd.pid file ends up
somewhere under it.

That should be it.

Posted by "John K. Sterling" <jo...@sterls.com>.

Posted by Manav <ma...@Glue.umd.edu>.
ofcourse I would set unique ports for each user. Virtual hostS? is that
what I am looking for here...i want all users of my system to have their
own webserver that they can start/restart at will, to test their webapps
in a intranet type of setting. The machine has one dns entry tho
so a different webserver will have to run at different ports one for each
user.

 On Fri,
30 Aug 2002, Chris Taylor wrote:

Manav Kher
   @
http://www.engr.umd.edu/~manav

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for user account

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

RE: [users@httpd] Apache for user account

Posted by Robert Lilly <rc...@lvcm.com>.
The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure the httpd.conf files are
each set to listen on a different port. Only one at a time can listen on the
default port of 80.

Robert Lilly