Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by David Remy <dr...@bea.com> on 2004/05/11 18:30:55 UTC

Aleksander

I would like to discuss the possibility of inviting Aleksander Slominski
to be a committer on XMLBeans assuming that is of interest to Alek.  To
foster this discussion I would like to ask a few questions that Alek
could comment on so we can get to know him a little better as well as
benefit.  An important note on the context for this, in addition to
having Alek involved anyway, is that we want to get non-bea committers
so that we can move XMLBeans out of incubation.  I will do another post
about this and we can discuss on a separate thread.  For now I was
wondering a few things Alek ...

Are you interesting/willing to be a committer for Apache XMLBeans?

Could you give us an introduction and your background?

Do you consider yourself more of a theory guy or practical guy - or
both?

Do you see anything specific that you bring to the XMLBeans project?

What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of XMLBeans as it stands
now?

Do you see a direction you are interested in XMLBeans going as we move
it forward?

Anything else here is fair game Alek.  It would be good to hear your
views.

thanks!
rem

Re: Aleksander

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
David Remy wrote:

>I would like to discuss the possibility of inviting Aleksander Slominski
>to be a committer on XMLBeans assuming that is of interest to Alek.  To
>foster this discussion I would like to ask a few questions that Alek
>could comment on so we can get to know him a little better as well as
>benefit.  An important note on the context for this, in addition to
>having Alek involved anyway, is that we want to get non-bea committers
>so that we can move XMLBeans out of incubation.  I will do another post
>about this and we can discuss on a separate thread.  For now I was
>wondering a few things Alek ...
>
>Are you interesting/willing to be a committer for Apache XMLBeans?

yes

>Could you give us an introduction and your background?

i am very interested in bridging the gap between XML and user/programmer.

long time ago i worked on SGML/HTML visual editor. that over time
evolved to using XML to do all kinds of data representation and being
very concerned about low-level but easy to use API to do XML processing
(hence XML pull parsing).

then i looked on how to make it easier to do DOM-like API with the same
performance as XmlPull (hence XPP2 PullNode) but in the process i
realized how important is to make API easy to use and not only "correct"
(less is more ...).

now i am very interested in being able to describe and enforce easily
schema bindings/API on the XML Infoset.

>Do you consider yourself more of a theory guy or practical guy - or
>both?

both as they say nothing is more practical than good theory :)

>Do you see anything specific that you bring to the XMLBeans project?

i am very interested to get XmlBeans API integrated as *seamless* as
possible with other XML APIs so XmlBeans is easier to mix-and-match with
other pieces of application that may not need (full) XML schemas
binding/validation (like in server processing pipelines)

>What do you see as the strengths and weaknesses of XMLBeans as it stands
>now?

bi-directional binding is absolutely fantastic (!!!) but that you are
able to have the (almost?) complete coverage of XML schema is the real
asset as as the end of the day this is what matters the most: can you
write code that can deal with XML that is described in any XML Schema!

>Do you see a direction you are interested in XMLBeans going as we move
>it forward?

API for pluggable low-level Xmlbeans store so it could be used with any
kind of XML Infoset provider and would allow XmlBeans to be plugged into
any of other existing XML Java APIs.

i am also interested in performance issues especially surrounding pull
parsing and XML fidelity/round trip.

>Anything else here is fair game Alek.  It would be good to hear your
>views.

i want XmlBeans to be as successful as possible and will be glad to help!

thanks,

alek

Re: Aleksander

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.