Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com> on 2010/04/26 17:59:56 UTC

[VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

This is a vote for the proposal discussed on the 'Proposal about
Version API "relaxation"' thread.  This thread replaces the first
VOTE thread!

The vote is to open up a separate parallel line of development, called
unstable (on trunk), where non-back-compatible changes, slated for the
next major release, may be safely developed.

But it's not a free for all: the back compat break must still be
carefully tracked in detail (maybe in CHANGES, maybe in a separate
more detailed "guide" -- tbd), including migration instructions, so
that this becomes the "migration guide" on how users can move to the
new major release.  If there are changes that break the index, we will
try very hard to create an index migration tool.

The stable line of development (on a branch) will get
non-back-compat-breaking changes, and will be released more often (as
minor releases and possible also .Z bugfix releases).

Changes will go into unstable first and then be back ported to the
stable branch on a case by case basis as long as they don't break
back-compat.  This may happen commit by commit, or be periodically
swept, or some combination (like flex) -- we can hash out this
logistical detail out with time.

This is a procedural vote -- we need a majority of the Solr/Lucene
committers for this to pass.

Please vote!

My vote is +1.

Mike

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1

Michael

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Shai

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> This is a vote for the proposal discussed on the 'Proposal about
> Version API "relaxation"' thread.  This thread replaces the first
> VOTE thread!
>
> The vote is to open up a separate parallel line of development, called
> unstable (on trunk), where non-back-compatible changes, slated for the
> next major release, may be safely developed.
>
> But it's not a free for all: the back compat break must still be
> carefully tracked in detail (maybe in CHANGES, maybe in a separate
> more detailed "guide" -- tbd), including migration instructions, so
> that this becomes the "migration guide" on how users can move to the
> new major release.  If there are changes that break the index, we will
> try very hard to create an index migration tool.
>
> The stable line of development (on a branch) will get
> non-back-compat-breaking changes, and will be released more often (as
> minor releases and possible also .Z bugfix releases).
>
> Changes will go into unstable first and then be back ported to the
> stable branch on a case by case basis as long as they don't break
> back-compat.  This may happen commit by commit, or be periodically
> swept, or some combination (like flex) -- we can hash out this
> logistical detail out with time.
>
> This is a procedural vote -- we need a majority of the Solr/Lucene
> committers for this to pass.
>
> Please vote!
>
> My vote is +1.
>
> Mike

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
I believe Uwe tagged trunk just before flex landing.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:00, Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would take the last rev just before the first rev when flex landed,
> so that in includes as much as possible. I don't know though which rev
> is it and whether it was before/after the lucene/solr merge.
>
> Shai
>
> On Friday, April 30, 2010, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
>>
>> :   * Cut a stable branch off of trunk back before flex landed.  Does
>> : anyone have any suggestions of which rev...?
>>
>> shouldn't this just be the same as the lucene/java/branches/lucene_3_0
>> branch that already exists? ... but with solr merged in?
>>

>> -Hoss

Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4
ICQ: 104465785

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On May 4, 2010, at 1:46 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : +1 on calling them 3x and trunk. Then as 3.1, 3.2 etc are released, we
> : create appropriate branches + tags, like today.
> :
> : IMO, the words stable/unstable add nothing but confusion.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I still think stable/unstable makes perfect sense - and its used plenty
in this manner elsewhere.

I think it's already widely understood that unstable does not mean
"buggy and prone to crash" in this context. It means the code is rapidly
changing - possibly in fundamental ways. Some think that it may warn
users off trunk - but if it does, thats rightly so - when huge changes
like Flex hit unstable, its bound to have bugs. Its bound to have
problems that will be fixed over time. By the time it makes it to
stable, most of the issues will be worked out, and that will be the time
that most users should be getting on board.

The stable branch's changes will be much less drastic, or "hairy". The
majority of the code will be code that has been out for a while and
proven, or new features that are built on that proven code. As the rules
of back compat are lifted, trunk is likely to become even more unstable
than it has been in the past - and deserving the title IMO.

stable: resistant to change of position or condition

unstable: lacking stability or fixity or firmness

On 05/03/2010 07:32 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> I think maint sends the wrong message, ie, dev should be active (not
> just maintenance) on the stable branch.
>
> We could just do 3x (ie drop "stable_" from it)?
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Marvin Humphrey<ma...@rectangular.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 06:21:08PM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>
>>> Can we please not use the word "stable"/"unstable" for these things?
>>>
>> One possibility: "maint_31", "maint_32", etc.
>>
>> Marvin Humphrey

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
> > One possibility: "maint_31", "maint_32", etc.

> I think maint sends the wrong message, ie, dev should be active (not
> just maintenance) on the stable branch.
>
> We could just do 3x (ie drop "stable_" from it)?

If the intent is a single branch named "3x" rather than multiple branches
named e.g. "31", "32"... then here's my non-binding +1.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Can we please not use the word "stable"/"unstable" for these things?

Thanks,
	Erik

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Mike,

I think you are right stable_3x is better, once we release 31, we create another branch 31 and continue with 3x until 32 comes out.

I think I will start tomorrow morning to create the branch and merge CharTermAtt and StandardAnalyzer refactoring?

-----

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Yeah, I think so?

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
So you mean the Tag as branch?

-----

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK this vote has passed!

I think we now need to, roughly:

  * Cut a stable branch off of trunk back before flex landed.  Does
anyone have any suggestions of which rev...?

  * Trunk then becomes 4.0 dev, so, we can selectively remove back
compat layers (eg flex's)

  * Back-port to stable any "stable" fixes, committed after flex landed.

Mike

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
I'm +0, mainly on terminology.  I object to using the labels stable
and unstable for the names the branches.  Simply call them what they
are, trunk and branch_3_1 (or whatever), and let quality judgement be
made elsewhere.

	Erik

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
+1

-----

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 04/26/2010 02:43 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> I didn't follow the Version API relaxation thread (my fault: i thought it
> was focused solely on how we were dealing with o.a.l.Version and lots of
> smart people were talking in ernest so i left it to them to make smart
> choices) but looking at this proposal, I'm at a loss to understand how
> it's any differnet then what we do today: we have a trunk, we add lots of
> features, and we document when compatibility breaks (and as a result rev
> our version numbers accordingly) ... in contrast, we have the "release
> branches" where we backport changes that don't break compatibility.  the
> only distinction seems to be this sentence...
>
> : The stable line of development (on a branch) will get
> : non-back-compat-breaking changes, and will be released more often (as
> : minor releases and possible also .Z bugfix releases).
>
> ...i don't know that anyone would say we release "more often" off of hte
> existing release branches, but that seems more an issue of practice then
> procedure.
>
> So I feel like i must be missunderstanidng the goal here.
>
> My best guess: that what this is really suggesting is that "trunk"
> *always* be targeted at the next "major" release (ie: 4.0, 5.0, 6.0,
> etc...) and that development of minor releases (ie: 3.2, 3.3, ...; 4.1.,
> 4.2, etc...) happen on "more stable" branches off of the major version
> release branches (ie: branch_3_0 forks off trunk when 3.0 is release,
> branch_3_1 forks off branch_3_0 when 3.1 releases, etc...)
>
> If i'm wrong, then can someone please explain it to me in a concreate
> actionable way?  (ie: specific examples of actions people would take
> moving forward under this new procedure)

As I understand it:
Your guess is correct.
The goal is to have future development not be encumbered by bw compat
maintenance.
Trunk will not try to maintain backward compatibility. (As I see it
there is no longer any point to Version in trunk.)
It probably won't have deprecations.
There will be no 3.9 release that differs from 4.0 only in deprecations
removed.
Moving from 3.x to 4.0 will require users to be deliberate and careful.

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
I'd like to +1 on this with all my tiny non-committer might.

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 23:06, Michael McCandless

Re: 3.1 release? Was: Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Right, and we'd remove the 2 non-sophisticated :) back compat layers
in flex, and I'd make an index migration tool for 4.0.

Mike

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Big changes, that'd be destabilizing if attempted on the stable
: branch, would be done only on unstable (= trunk).
:
: More "normal" changes, which can still include deprecations/some back
: compat, would be done on the stable branch and unstable.
: By segregating the big changes away from stable we should be able to
: keep stronger back compat on stable.  We also save our resources not
: building costly back compat layers that, because of their complexity,
: bring their own problems.  Also, our release numbers are more
: "standard" -- the .0 release will have major changes (unlike today
: where is has no changes except removal of deprecations).

Ok .. I think i'm caught up.

My vote: +0

I like the idea changing our release/branch process so that every major
release (ie: 4.0) results in he creation of two branches: one for bug fix
release like we have now (ie: branch_4_0 where patches for releases 4.0.1
and 4.0.2 would be committed) as well as new branch for minor releases
along that major line (ie: branch_4 where patches for release in 4.1 and
4.2 would be committed instead of doing minor releases off of hte trunk
like we do now) with trunk now becoming the place where changes targeting
hte next major release (ie: 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) can be commited.

My concern is that this proposal essentially requires that our current
back compat "contract" be eliminated in favor of a looser "we'll document
what's changed and try to provide migration tools" type policy.  What i
worry about is that if we do this w/o agreeing on some "higher precident"
guidelines on what exactly will be "ok" back-incompat changes to make
between major release, and what is "not ok" to hcange because it
introduces too big of a migration gap, then this could result in major
versions that are so widely differnet hte community gets fractured, with a
big chunk of users never upgrading from 4.X to 5.X because the API and
index formats are too widely different and the migration process is too
cumbersome (ahem: maven1 and maven2)

That said: I don't know that we can ever hash out where the "line which
should not be crossed" is on compat changes w/o trying stuff and seeing
what happens, and i don't personally have any better suggestions, so i'm
certianly not going to stand in the way.

-Hoss

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
The only correction to this example is...

It's entirely possible m2 was backported to stable, and users see this
on upgrading to the next minor release.

It's only for changes that are not back-ported to stable where this
example applies, and I agree -- we have to do a strong job documenting
the migration for these trunk(unstable)-only changes.

Mike

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Isn't there a tool out there that automatically generates the changes in APIs?

jdiff (http://www.jdiff.org/) is pretty good.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I think this is a pretty important point.

Isn't there a tool out there that automatically generates the changes in APIs?  I seem to recall seeing one.  Perhaps even IntelliJ has one built in?  Obviously, one could generate the svn diffs, but that will be too verbose.

-Grant

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Right, we should not require contributors to also merge down to stable
("beggars can't be choosers" ;) ).

Devs should that, and whether it's the dev who committed, or a dev who
periodically sweeps, can be worked out over time.

But Uwe should lay down the law :)  Eg, we should always use "svn
merge" so the merge props are properly tracked, so that periodic
sweeping is straightforward.

Mike

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.