Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/12/07 16:24:11 UTC

Fwd: Next Steps for Project Yoko : A Proposal

CXFers,

I was going trough my old archives and because the original proposal
had been posted to several lists I missed this note and didn't respond
in a timely manner as my mail program put this note in the wrong folder.

I think the net of the request below from Sanjiva and it doesn't
appear to be posted to CXF Dev.  I wanted to send this out for your
consideration and ask if y'all could respond to Sanjiva on his concern.

Cross posting is a bad thing.  Sorry.

Matt

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Fwd: Next Steps for Project Yoko : A Proposal

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Dan,

Sorry for the slow response; didn't see this mail.

> Looking at the CORBA binding stuff in Axis 2, it currently doesn't
> actually use Yoko ws binding stuff at all.   It only uses the ORB part
> which is the part going to Geronimo for which they are agreeing to keep
> standalone.  Thus, the proposal as written wouldn't have any impact on
> their current code.

OK.

> Also, the CORBA stuff they have is pretty much the exact opposite of what
> the Yoko bindings are trying to do.    They are trying to "Web service
> enable a CORBA object".   The yoko stuff is more "CORBA enable a Web
> Service object".  Kind of a bit flipped.   (Although that includes CORBA
> enabling a Web Service client object which would allow routing (via
> things like Apache Camel, maybe Synapse) from pure webservice endpoints
> to CORBA)

We are actually working on the reverse too- using Axis2 client APIs to
talk to a CORBA object. (This is still different from CORBA enabling a Web
service object for sure.)

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: Fwd: Next Steps for Project Yoko : A Proposal

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Matt,  (and others)

On Friday 07 December 2007, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I was going trough my old archives and because the original proposal
> had been posted to several lists I missed this note and didn't respond
> in a timely manner as my mail program put this note in the wrong
> folder.

Been there, done that...    Filters are great to keep things organized,
but they sometimes work too well.

> I think the net of the request below from Sanjiva and it doesn't
> appear to be posted to CXF Dev.  I wanted to send this out for your
> consideration and ask if y'all could respond to Sanjiva on his
> concern.

Looking at the CORBA binding stuff in Axis 2, it currently doesn't
actually use Yoko ws binding stuff at all.   It only uses the ORB part
which is the part going to Geronimo for which they are agreeing to keep
standalone.  Thus, the proposal as written wouldn't have any impact on
their current code.

Also, the CORBA stuff they have is pretty much the exact opposite of what
the Yoko bindings are trying to do.    They are trying to "Web service
enable a CORBA object".   The yoko stuff is more "CORBA enable a Web
Service object".  Kind of a bit flipped.   (Although that includes CORBA
enabling a Web Service client object which would allow routing (via
things like Apache Camel, maybe Synapse) from pure webservice endpoints
to CORBA)

That said, to specifically address some of the points:

1) The yoko binding code is in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/yoko/trunk/bindings/

2) The tooling is at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/yoko/trunk/tools/

Both are fairly tied to CXF as they plugin to CXF with CXF's binding
API's and command line tool api's and such.     That said, once we get
it over to CXF, we'd definitely welcome their help in refactoring it to
make it a bit more reusable.  I really have no problem with that and we
could use more external (to IONA) folks that could potentially become
committers.   As Jim says, "a potential mechanism to bring in additional
developers for the podling."     CXF is built very modularly.   A "mvn
deploy" deploys over 55 jars.  Thus, we can easily provide a small jar
or similar with parts that they might need and they could take that
dependency just like they could take a direct Yoko dependency if yoko
had done a deploy.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp