Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ja...@jrv.org on 2003/08/17 07:11:07 UTC

mime-type usage?

Does Subversion care about mime-type in any way except for text
vs. non-text for diff/merge?

It would be a big headache if I had to go through each file in the
repository an set the mime-type.

From: kfogel@collab.net
Date: 17 Aug 2003 00:24:22 -0500

Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> writes:

> Sure we do.  Set the svn:mime-type property on every file to something
> non-texty.

I was thinking about that... Trouble is, it breaks 'svn diff'.  And a
lying mime type might cause all sorts of other problems, if not with
Subversion than perhaps with other software.  So it's not a very
pleasant workaround.

Re: mime-type usage?

Posted by ja...@jrv.org.
I think this is OK for me.

The development environment I'm looking at was designed in the 1980's,
long before the advent of MIME or any "recent" file type.  The file
extensions chosen then have not been changed even if commonly used for
other purposes now.

Any attempt by SVN to guess at the type of a file beyond text/not-text
would be unlikely to succeed and would mean a lot of extra work in
converting to SVN.

> From: cmpilato@collab.net
> Date: 18 Aug 2003 03:46:17 -0500
>
> james-tigris@jrv.org writes:
>
> > Does Subversion care about mime-type in any way except for text
> > vs. non-text for diff/merge?
>
> mod_dav_svn uses it when responding to GET requests for the resource,
> which can potentially foul up the browsability of your repository
> (using a web browser).

Re: mime-type usage?

Posted by cm...@collab.net.