Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/06 16:55:04 UTC

[vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1

Hi everyone,

This is the third attempt, after fixing:

* http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-194<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-155>

This bugfix actualy adds a new flag to the dependencySet, called
useTransitiveFiltering, which allows you to enable filtering by matching  a
given pattern against the transitive dependency path of the given artifact
(in addition to all the other ways). By default, this is disabled
(useTransitiveFiltering == false), in order to preserve backward compat with
version 2.1.

So, let's try this one more time:

I wanted to call a vote to release a beta version of the new assembly
plugin. There are still some outstanding issues (though not as many as jira
would have you believe; they just need tests), but I think we're at around
95-99% backward compatibility and the new features seem to be working well.
It's been just sitting in SVN for quite awhile now, and many people are
using it directly from there. I'd like to provide better support for those
people, and start getting more feedback on exactly what's still broken.

The change list is pretty large, but is mainly concerned with refactoring
the plugin away from the old monolithic approach to one that uses phases to
handle the different descriptor sections, along with common task classes to
handle behavior shared between phases.

Road Map:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11126&styleName=Html&version=12617

Tag:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/tags/maven-assembly-plugin-2.2-beta-1

Staging repository:

http://people.apache.org/~jdcasey/stage/repo<http://people.apache.org/%7Ejdcasey/stage/repo>

So, let's try 72h +1/+0/-1. Please cast your votes!

Here's my +1.

-john

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1

Posted by Patrick Schneider <ps...@gmail.com>.
+1

I've been using 2.2-SNAP for some time now as well, but mainly only with
small test projects.

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding: John C, Stephane, Brian, Jason
+1 non-binding: Dan K, Patrick
-1 (non-veto): Brett

I'll proceed with the release.

Thanks,

John

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

"So maybe we should publish far and wide the best practice of pegging
the plugin version, and require it in 2.1...then write a plugin to list
the available versions for a plugin, so users can check periodically.
That would make life a little easier for users."

+1

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1

Posted by jallen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1 -> lock down of plugin versions

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
The idea originally was that LATEST might refer to a snapshot release, but
that RELEASE was the latest plugin release. Of course, all of this
completely ignores any notion of versions that have implications for
backward compatibility. In the Maven 2.0.x, all plugin releases are assumed
to be minor/point releases of the same major version.

-john

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arik Kfir <ar...@gmail.com>.
+1 for that!

Posted by Geoffrey De Smet <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
I'll go ahead and roll the beta-1 release, and we can fix the repository
problem along with the other 17 issues that are still slated for 2.2-final.

Thanks,

John

Posted by berndq <be...@gmx.net>.
Brian E. Fox schrieb:
>  "This is a MUCH bigger problem than we seem to recognize. Who wants to
> send the email to the users@ list to tell them that, oh, yeah, they need
> to specify versions for all of their plugins in the POM? I'm not wild
> about it, but I think that's the only way out...and I'm willing to send
> that email."

> plugin versions to be set in the poms or pluginManagement. I would even
> assert that it should be required in 2.1 as it is for dependenceis now.
> No build team who is concerned about reproducibility would really allow
> the versions to be uncontrolled and entirely up to the developers
> environment. (If they are, maybe they don't realize this is occuring).

 From my users point of view I totally agree and encourage you to

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
#1 gets us back into the realm of trying to decipher whether the behavior of

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: [vote] Attempt 3: Release maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
-1 (just a vote, not a veto)

I've found 2 backwards incompatibilities that affect its usability in
my build:
- dependencies are unpacked into a subdirectory with their artifactId
where they weren't before (this may be correct behaviour where before
it was a bug, just needs to be checked)
- the repository building capabilities appear not to be working at all

Are either of these already in JIRA, or should I file them? I
couldn't see them.

Thanks again for your persistence :)

- Brett