Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2009/09/11 13:23:23 UTC

Website task 1: convincing text for index page

Hello,
I spoke to Howard and we agreed on using a git repository temporarily to
update the website. I have modified the skin and started to work on the
menus.

I would like to ask for help on working on a number of tasks, because I
am not native English and I am missing features (like sales know-how) to
do some things properly.

If you like pick or contribute to a task. Just use the thread to discuss
the task and send an email with (solved) at the end of the subject to
mark it as finished.

Convincing text for index page

The text can be based on the existing but should be way shorter and way
simpler. It addresses new technical users and new less technical users.
See the user models in the PDF of the Website Concept Thread. It should
be possible to read the text cross over and still get a good impression.

There should be a short statement what Tapestry and then a number of
convincing arguments to use it.

I am looking forward to any kind of contributions.

**Documentation Format**
The documentation is build using Maven with a modified skin. The pages
should be in the XDoc format of doxia. Here is a description
http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/xdoc-format.html
The pages are located in src/site/xdoc . You can always copy the
base.xml to a new file

**How to download the documentation?**
You need to have git installed.
git clone http://dev.laliluna.de/public/tapestry-website.git/
tapestry-website

In the root of the documentation you can find a modified skin. You can
install it into your local maven repository using
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=maven-skin-1.2.S.jar
-DgroupId=org.apache.tapestry -DartifactId=maven-skin -Dversion=1.2.S
-Dpackaging=jar -DcreateChecksum=true

After this you can use
mvn clean
mvn site
to build the documentation

**Sending patches, changes **
You can send me just mails with plain text or a git patch.

A quick tutorial on using git is here
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.6.3/everyday.html
You are a "Individual Developer (Participant)"

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: Website task 1: convincing text for index page

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Hello Andreas,

I believe you but let's wait for input of other people. If they agree,
someone can set up a repository their.

As it is no consequence to change the repository you are pulling from,
we can migrate their at any time.

Andreas Andreou schrieb:
> I'm confident it'll pay back the wasted minutes, esp. as ppl start to contribute
>
> Additionally, it doesn't have to be something temporal... it can go on
> and include
> the new quickstart tutorial (as discussed in previous threads) and its
> translations.
>
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Sebastian Hennebrueder
> <us...@laliluna.de> wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Andreou schrieb:
>>> I'm wondering, why not use github.com ?
>>>
>> Because setting up a temporary repository consist of two commands for me
>> ssh lali
>> initgit tapestry-website.git
>>
>> I don't have a githup account and the repository has a temporarily nature as
>> well
>>

>>> It would be much easier:
>>> - for ppl to fork into their own repo
>>> - for you to gather all available edits/changes
>>> - for different contributors to collaborate with each other (and not
>>> directly with you,
>>> i.e. for specific translations, or subtasks)

>> --
>> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>>
>> Sebastian Hennebrueder
>> -----
>> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
>> http://www.laliluna.de

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

<us...@laliluna.de> wrote:

> [...]
>>> -Dpackaging=jar -DcreateChecksum=true
>>>
>>> After this you can use
>>> mvn clean
>>> mvn site
>>> to build the documentation
>>>
>>> **Sending patches, changes **
>>> You can send me just mails with plain text or a git patch.
>>>
>>> A quick tutorial on using git is here
>>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.6.3/everyday.html
>>> You are a "Individual Developer (Participant)"
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>>>
>>> Sebastian Hennebrueder
>>> -----
>>> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
>>> http://www.laliluna.de

> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>
> Sebastian Hennebrueder
> -----
> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting

Re: Website task 1: convincing text for index page

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.

Andreas Andreou schrieb:
> [...]

>> install it into your local maven repository using
>> mvn install:install-file -Dfile=maven-skin-1.2.S.jar
>> -DgroupId=org.apache.tapestry -DartifactId=maven-skin -Dversion=1.2.S
>> -Dpackaging=jar -DcreateChecksum=true
>>
>> After this you can use
>> mvn clean
>> mvn site
>> to build the documentation
>>
>> **Sending patches, changes **
>> You can send me just mails with plain text or a git patch.
>>
>> A quick tutorial on using git is here
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.6.3/everyday.html
>> You are a "Individual Developer (Participant)"
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>>
>> Sebastian Hennebrueder
>> -----
>> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.