Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Walter Kobylanski <wa...@studio.st> on 2004/08/13 00:03:49 UTC

SpamAssassin logos, our final update

Hi everyone,

We have made a final update in our logo proposals according to all your
comments.

- We chaged from  Spam *logo* Assassin   to  *logo* SpamAssassin
- We also added an alternative shuriken
- And another try to add the Apache look&feel

You can see it here:
http://www.studio.st/finalupdate.png

We hope you like it and anyway, we had lot of fun in this contest.

Walter

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Saturday 14 August 2004 21:45 CET Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:24:48AM -0400, Christian Rauh wrote:
> > I hope I haven't left anyone out in this reply. My new update can be
> > seen at:
> >   http://rauh.net/jobs/spamassassin/logo5.1.png
>
> Thanks for the update! :)
>
> I really like the second one down. [...]

Yeah, they're great.  Definitely more active.  I agree on the font though --
even Arial Rounded would look cooler :)  I also liked the serife fonts but
they probably won't fit for this logo.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Michael Douma <in...@michaeldouma.com>.
BTW, Michael Douma posted a bolder version 1.0.1.G at
   http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/LogoContestTiebreaker

If 1.0.1 wins the voting, we can next quickly vote on: color scheme,
boldness, radial blur lines, perspective twist, apache feather.

Michael D.

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Michael Douma <in...@michaeldouma.com> writes:

> Some more comments from a designer's point of view...  It is important
> to differentiate between "fundamental" and "superficial" concerns.
> Both matter, but for this next vote, focus on the fundamentals. For
> example, postpone discussion about kerning, and what not. Colors,
> kerning, and so on can easily be changed, and all three designers
> would be happy to make minor changes. Instead, here are some vague
> fundamental questions to consider.

Agreed!  Excellent questions and points.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Michael Douma <in...@michaeldouma.com>.
Some more comments from a designer's point of view...

It is important to differentiate between "fundamental" and
"superficial" concerns. Both matter, but for this next vote, focus on
the fundamentals. For example, postpone discussion about kerning, and
what not. Colors, kerning, and so on can easily be changed, and all
three designers would be happy to make minor changes. Instead, here are
some vague fundamental questions to consider.

1) Which logo evokes the overall feel you want for SpamAssassin?

2) Can the logo work in multiple media? For example, on a web site, on
a 1- or 2-color T-shirt? How about multiple sizes?

3) Which logo is the most self evident? the most memorable? the most
timeless?

4) Will the logo satisfy the Apache Foundation's needs for continuity?

5) Which logo will best represent SpamAssassin among the general public
and the developer community?

6) Which logo do you instinctively like the most?

7) Which logo do you want to see in the next article in the New York
Times, Wall Street Journal, or MSNBC?  :)

Michael

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
[apologies if you got the first sending of this. I got a cryptic error
and don't know if it actually was sent anywhere]

Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> By the way, I should emphasize how cool this whole process has been.

I agree. Not only have we ended up with great professional looking
choices, whichever one we end up voting on, but I'm blown away by the
friendly and cooperative spirit shown by the final designers to each
other. It does feel very much like the open source software development
process.

  -- sidney

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Sunday 15 August 2004 20:42 CET Christian Rauh wrote:
> Al right, that's it! Here it is: the purple chicken with an axe. ;-)

Yeah, very cool :)  Could you make that version number a 3.0 instead of
2.64?  Then I'd actually go and print me a t-shirt with it on (if that's
not too expensive) -- not that anybody will get the joke, but hey, who
cares :)

>[...]
> Aesthetics is part of our quality of life and if one can use excellent
> open source software, why not have a pleasent visual experience with it?
> After all, all that this project is about is making other people's life
> better, isn't?

ACK.  KDE (whose Kontact Splash Screen Contest [1,2,3] actually inspired
ours in some ways) already has a great community on kde-look.org and I
guess within the Mozilla project there most be some great artists, too
(judging from their latest artwork compared to former designs).  And other
projects which I use less frequently probably have a great community, too.

Sticking with KDE, they don't only have some great visual artists but with
the new default sound scheme in KDE 3.3 [4] the AFAIK first aural
contribution by a professional artist to an open source project was done.
Which is even more impressive if you know any sound workers personally and
how picky they are about their sounds ;-)

Cheers,
Malte

[1] http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=kontact+splash
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.pim/10706
[3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.pim/10012
[4] http://artemio.net/projects/kdevibes/vibes/kde3.3/

Posted by Christian Rauh <ch...@uconn.edu>.
Al right, that's it! Here it is: the purple chicken with an axe. ;-)

On a more serious note, I have always approached this project with an
open source mindset. And I think it is time for people to start
agregating different aspects of software 'development' into open source
dev groups, one of them being visual design of interface and
image/brand. Some (larger) projects already have that. The time were
software was only code is gone even for a project like SpamAssassin. It
is obvious that people want their applications to work good *and* look
good.

If there are people willing to contribute on the code, there are
certainly people wishing to contribute with other skills too. It is just
a question of tradition that those and other aspects of the whole
software cycle have not been integrated. The culture of those within the
open source community stick to tradition and the people with the other
skills mostly don't even know what open source is. In many open source
projects the visual design (and also interface design) is something
usually done ad-hoc by the programmers themselves and the result is most
times grotesque. Many times striving to put a pretty face on your
software is seen as too "commercial" of a strategy and associated with
the proprietary closed source world.

Aesthetics is part of our quality of life and if one can use excellent
open source software, why not have a pleasent visual experience with it?
After all, all that this project is about is making other people's life
better, isn't?

Christian

--

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
In any case, if the intelligence of the machines is superior to ours,

   - Alison Adam (2002), Cyborgs in the Chinese Room
     in Preston & Bishop (Eds.), Views Into The Chinese Room.(p.330)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯°¤øø¤°¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> writes:

> I know this is probably asking too much for free work, but I'd really
> like to see what an artist like Walter could do with the first two
> designs.

I should clarify this a bit.  I *know* it's asking too much.  In the
corporate world, what we'd do is pay for the concept we liked best and
then (potentially) have another artist or our own artist iterate on that
concept until we reached some final point.  Since our project is poor
and don't have money to do that, that would require some agreement and
collaboration between the artists who have been working on this.

By the way, I should emphasize how cool this whole process has been.
I'm used to providing open source software for the world, but getting
fabulous artistic designs from 50 different people is pretty cool.  :-)

Daniel

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Saturday, August 14, 2004 4:47 PM -0700 Daniel Quinlan
<qu...@pathname.com> wrote:

> Also, bear in mind, the logo's not aimed at you!  You already use
> SpamAssassin and probably have a favorable opinion.  It's aimed at new
> users, sites, senders, receivers, etc.  Of course, I want a logo we like
> too, but we should think a bit more broadly.  I know it's a challenge
> for us technical types.  :-)

Good point. It's hard for us to think like PHB's! ;)

(One of my biggest selling points with SA is that it doesn't veto a message
until multiple criteria are met. But I'm not sure how we'd convey that
visually.)

I decided to go back and review the tiebreaker images:

<http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/LogoContestTiebreaker>

1.0.1 E2 is kinda nice with the feather integrated, and the blood red of
the feather is appealing to my thirst for vengeance. ;)

Similarly, I like the blood red envelope in 1.0.2's 2nd example.

As I said in a previous message, the thing that appeals to me about 1.0.3
is its "machined" look, perhaps because of my exposure to machinists as
well as to fine weapons. The liquid black is very similar to the black
annodizing my company does to its parts, complemented with stainless
highlights (we do clean room automation).

1.0.1 suggests stained glass, so it has almost the same appeal from a
textural viewpoint. 1.0.2 is pastels, but the stronger colors in the more
recent treatment compensate for that.

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> writes:

> I rather like the aggressiveness of #2 and #3. If I want to obliterate
> spam, I want to do it decisively, not with a wimpy product.

Aggressiveness implies false positives.  Selectiveness is the image we
want.  #1 and #2 do that (even the original version of #2 where three
emails are all pierced seems selective).  #3 is just aggressive and is
violent on top of that.  The more confrontatial we *seem*, the more
likely anyone (correctly or incorrectly) filtered by SpamAssassin will
react negatively (like they do with blacklists, SpamCop systems, etc.)
and I don't want that.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> I rather like the aggressiveness of #2 and #3. If I want to obliterate
> spam, I want to do it decisively, not with a wimpy product.
>
> #1 reminds me of the UN "circle of flags" and the last thing I want to do
> with spam is make peace with it. I want it dead!

Now I'm going to have to go and track down that #2 entry and look at it!
:-)

        Loren

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Saturday, August 14, 2004 1:06 PM -0700 Daniel Quinlan

#1 reminds me of the UN "circle of flags" and the last thing I want to do

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> writes:

> To be honest, I greatly prefer the original set, particularly
> rauh-logo.png and rauh-logo2.png; the "fat" white outlines, the rounded
> edges and the font are all much more to my taste...

I agree with Justin on this one.  The new logo from Christian Rauh is
more polished, but the original *design* was definitely better.

As far as the other logos go, I think the best quality of art is the
third logo, but it's definitely too sharp and harsh for our logo.  We
simply don't want to associate such a negative, dark, and dangerous
image to our project.  Let's reserve the negative image for spam!  I
know this is probably asking too much for free work, but I'd really like
to see what an artist like Walter could do with the first two designs.

Concept-wise: #1 and #2 are close to each other.  #1 is more
professional and very good.  It is a bit too lightly colored with a lot
of blank space, but I think that can be fixed with a bolder logo and
thicker font.  #2 is also good, but borders on being too violent as well

#3 is the concept I like the least, but the art is quite good.

Daniel

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 05:24:48AM -0400, Christian Rauh wrote:
> I hope I haven't left anyone out in this reply. My new update can be
> seen at:
>   http://rauh.net/jobs/spamassassin/logo5.1.png

Thanks for the update! :)

I really like the second one down.  It's a bit more stylish than the
original, and I like the askew/rounded quadrilateral in the background.
The only thing I don't like is the font.  Helvetica is really plain IMO.
Of the logos, the fonts I like are: 1.0.25, 1.0.29, 1.0.7, 1.0.9, 1.0.33D.
They're a bit rounder, and imo more pleasing to the eye.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
/* This bit of chicanery makes a unary function followed by

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
FWIW I agree with most of your own comments.  The arrow is
much more meaningful in cross-cultural symbolism than the
shuriken.  (Even many Japanese people would probably more
readily recognize the arrow than the Shuriken, which is
an obscure and impractical weapon at best.)  The tie in
with Apache is an added plus.  I like the top (closest to
original?) logo the best.

I find your logo clean, professional, meaningful and, frankly,
pretty.  Those are hard to come by.  Congratulations on nice
work.

Jeff C.

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 11:03:57AM -0300, Henry Stern wrote:
> I really like your latest submission, but the negative kerning between
> the m and the A really turns me off.  Does anyone else feel this way?

Agreed, I like them, but would rather have the m and A at the same
spacing as the other letters.

Michael

Re: SpamAssassin Logo Update

Posted by Christian Rauh <ch...@uconn.edu>.
Henry and Michael,

Ok, no one should feel turned off. :-) I uploaded the same logos without
the negative kerning and then you can choose:

    No neg. kern:   http://rauh.net/jobs/spamassassin/logo5.2.png
    With neg. kern: http://rauh.net/jobs/spamassassin/logo5.1.png

O also am going to put them up in the wiki page. Of course, the comments
still apply.

Christian

--

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Posted by Henry Stern <he...@stern.ca>.

SpamAssassin Logo Update

Re: SpamAssassin logos, our final update

Posted by Walter Kobylanski <wa...@studio.st>.
Matt Sergeant wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2004, at 23:03, Walter Kobylanski wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> We have made a final update in our logo proposals according to all
>> your comments.
>>
>> - We chaged from Spam *logo* Assassin to *logo* SpamAssassin
>> - We also added an alternative shuriken
>> - And another try to add the Apache look&feel
>>
>> You can see it here:
>> http://www.studio.st/finalupdate.png
>>
>> We hope you like it and anyway, we had lot of fun in this contest.
>

> I like it (especially now you corrected the spelling :-)
>
> You said you're using vectors - do you have an SVG version?
>
> Matt.

We use vectors and then we make some adjustments with photoshop, but I
probably can make SVG versions too.
It?s easy, iI will finf you really need it d the way to make it ;)

Walter

Re: SpamAssassin logos, our final update

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ms...@messagelabs.com>.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Very nice.  Personally I'm partial to the last one, not that my vote counts
officially.

        Loren

Re: SpamAssassin logos, our final update

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 7:03 PM -0300 Walter Kobylanski
<wa...@studio.st> wrote:

> - We chaged from  Spam *logo* Assassin   to  *logo* SpamAssassin
> - We also added an alternative shuriken
> - And another try to add the Apache look&feel
>
> You can see it here:
> http://www.studio.st/finalupdate.png

I like the colors and shading in the final shuriken, but I think I like the
font in the 2nd logo more.