Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Andrew Cobley <a....@dundee.ac.uk> on 2013/09/08 13:00:08 UTC

C* 2.0 reduce_cache_sizes_at ?

I'm following John Berryman's blog "Building the Perfect Cassandra Test Environment" concerning running C* in a very small amount of memory.  he recommends theses settings in cassandra.yaml

reduce_cache_sizes_at: 0
reduce_cache_capacity_to: 0

(Blog is at http://www.opensourceconnections.com/2013/08/31/building-the-perfect-cassandra-test-environment/)

I'm assuming the blog must be talking about C* prior to version 2.0 because these settings do not appear in 2.0's  .yaml file.

Why where they removed and what's the alternative ?

Andy

reduce_cache_sizes_at: 0 reduce_cache_capacity_to: 0 - See more at: http://www.opensourceconnections.com/2013/08/31/building-the-perfect-cassandra-test-environment/#sthash.T7wBs9Yv.dpuf

Re: C* 2.0 reduce_cache_sizes_at ?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Andrew Cobley <a....@dundee.ac.uk>wrote:

> reduce_cache_sizes_at: 0
> reduce_cache_capacity_to: 0

> I'm assuming the blog must be talking about C* prior to version 2.0
> because these settings do not appear in 2.0's  .yaml file.

> Why where they removed and what's the alternative ?

"
Seems like when these thresholds are reached we are trying to reduce the
keycache and Memtable sizes, but in the trunk memtable is moved off-heap
hence reducing that will not actually help.
"

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cassandra.git;a=commit;h=e79d9fbf84a35021cafa21d428e08fdd9bee584e

They were removed because changes in the nature of the cache made them
mostly-useless. There is therefore no alternative.

=Rob