Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Shrinivasan <ts...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/07 19:18:07 UTC

How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Hi,

I have subversion server on windows.

We have several internal releases of our projects and
we maintain those releases under "tags" folders.

but we get into trouble as people often commit into tags folder.

We are in the need of some kind of hook scripts
which can prevent write on tags folders.

Please help me to get the hook script for windows.

Thanks.

T.Shrinivasan

My experiences with Linux are here
http://goinggnu.wordpress.com

For Free and Open Source Jobs
http://fossjobs.wordpress.com

RE: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by "Anderson, Aaron" <An...@gsicommerce.com>.
Yes, that's svnperms.py and it works well - see:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/svnperms.py for
the script,
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/svnperms.conf.e
xample for a sample conf.  You can put in an expression like:
tags/[^/]+/ = *(add) which would let anyone tag and no one update.  So
long as you have a working Python install, its very easy to reference
from pre-commit.

- Aaron Anderson, Senior Manager
Shared Services - Dev Tier Support / Source Code Management

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
I believe the Python based pre-commit access control hook might be
able to help. I believe it allows you to mark a directory as
"add-only". That is, you can create a new directory via "svn cp", but
won't let you modify the files on that directory. That means you can
let people create tags, but not modify a tag once they create one.

I have a Perl version that does the same thing over at
<http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/433257/hooks.zip>.

Basically, you can mark a file/directory (using Perl regular
expressions to specify the file or directory) as either "read-only",
"read-write", or "add-only" and who has those permissions. We use this
to "lock" branches down, but still allow a small team to make changes,
or prevent users from accidentally modifying a tag.

The trigger will also verify that properties are set on particular
files (again, you specify that with Perl regular expressions, prohibit
certain file names, and even make sure that the commit message is
formatted correctly.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:18 PM, Shrinivasan <ts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have subversion server on windows.
>
> We have several internal releases of our projects and
> we maintain those releases under "tags" folders.
>
> but we get into trouble as people often commit into tags folder.
>
> We are in the need of some kind of hook scripts
> which can prevent write on tags folders.
>
> Please help me to get the hook script for windows.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Regards,
> T.Shrinivasan
>

> My experiences with Linux are here
> http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
>
> For Free and Open Source Jobs
> http://fossjobs.wordpress.com

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Subversion 1.7 location

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Murli Varadachari wrote:

> I am interested in checking out subversion 1.7  -- particularly the
> client side improvements. Is the source code  available on some branch?

1.7 is currently in the trunk.  It won't be branched for a while.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/

I wouldn't use it unless you want much breakage in your wc.  The format is not
stable.

Regards,
Blair

Subversion 1.7 location

Posted by Murli Varadachari <mv...@facebook.com>.
I am interested in checking out subversion 1.7  -- particularly the client side improvements. Is the source code  available on some branch?

Can spare some time  testing other features too!

Cheers
murli

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Andy Levy!
>
>> What you illustrate is a team communication deficiency, not a
>> Subversion deficiency. No software can fix that.
>
> Sure. As I said, it's not a bugreport, it's a thing to consider for general
> usage. I know, svnbook explaining the normal workflow, but it does not
> explain the "why"s. Here's one.

I suspect most people have already experienced that sort of thing when
multiple people can make changes without a version control system - and
that's why they are using one now.  With it you get to decide which
change was right after the fact instead of just losing earlier versions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Andy Levy!

> What you illustrate is a team communication deficiency, not a
> Subversion deficiency. No software can fix that.

Sure. As I said, it's not a bugreport, it's a thing to consider for general
usage. I know, svnbook explaining the normal workflow, but it does not
explain the "why"s. Here's one.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 21:13, Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru> wrote:
> Greetings, Andy Levy!

>>> And you've indeed noticed that every commit to one of these projects increase
>>> revision number for all of them?
>>> If they are completely separate projects, you better split them and host every
>>> project separately.
>
>> There really is no need to do that unless every project is required to
>> have its own contiguous set of revision numbers. This is most often
>> done by people/organizations placing too much emphasis on the actual
>> value of the number, instead of using it to refer to a specific point
>> in time.
>
>> We keep all our code in a single repository and no one has raised an eyebrow.
>
> I see what you mean.
> I just discovered it myself.
>
> User a committing file c
> User b committing file d
> User a updating his working copy
> User b removing file d
> User a committing file e referencing d
> -------
> Project destroyed.
>
> I know, it's not a big deal for SVN. I know how to fix it.
> It's not a bugreport. It's just a thing for consideration.
> At the very least, it leading to the moment of frustration.
> Here you have working copy that you just committed to repository, and here you
> update your working copy and it does not work.
>
> SVN does not notify you that you're likely to run in such situation while
> doing commit from outdated BASE.

Does any other VCS prevent this from happening without locking the
entire project?

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Andy Levy!

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

RE: Using a varable in an external URL

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> Due to the nature of our build tree we have multiple externals pointing
> folders in a single tag, i.e.
>
> Dir1   http://domain/repos/proj1/Tag/tagA/dir1
> Dir2   http://domain/repos/proj1/Tag/tagA/dir2
> Dir3   http://domain/repos/proj1/Tag/tagA/dir3
> Dir4   http://domain/repos/proj1/Tag/tagA/dir4
>
> Obviously this is a shortened version, we have > 10 folders like this,
> and
> when updating to a new tag, editing all the individual externals is a
> pain.

>> Would using relative URLs in your externals (introduced in SVN 1.5)
>> alleviate this?
>> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

> Unfortunately no, as all the externals are in a 2 or three different
> repositories, with the base project being in it's own repository.

Have you looked at svncopy.pl? I think it handles what you are asking for.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svncopy/svncopy.README

BOb

RE: Using a varable in an external URL

Posted by anthony winner <an...@insydesw.com>.
Unfortunately no, as all the externals are in a 2 or three different
repositories, with the base project being in it's own repository.

Anthony Winner
Sr. Software Engineer, Insyde Software
Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by anthony winner <an...@insydesw.com>.
[...]

Thanks,

Anthony Winner

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Shrinivasan!

> [/tags]
> @svnadmins = rw
>
> Note: without a repository name, it will affect EVERY repository.

Sorry, I should correct myself.
This could be better as

[/tags]
~@svnadmins = r
@svnadmins = rw

Explicitly denying any rights propagation from higher levels.

Posted by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru>.
Greetings, Shrinivasan!

> We have a single repository which has multiple projects.
> every project has "tags" folders.

And you've indeed noticed that every commit to one of these projects increase
revision number for all of them?
If they are completely separate projects, you better split them and host every
project separately.
Read about SVNParentPath and look issue thread here
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=1065&dsMessageId=1521048
about general configuration scheme and here
http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=1065&dsMessageId=1461625
if you want to have your repositories hosted directly from
http://yourserver/reposname, without intermediate /repos/, /svn/ or whatever
useless URL part you can invent.

Also I suggest some reading around svnadmin dump to get your repos' split
properly.

Then the matter of denying someone access to the /tags will be as simple as

Posted by Shrinivasan <ts...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andy & Geoff.

We have a single repository which has multiple projects.
every project has "tags" folders.

so we can not mention statically the full path of the "tags" folder
in the configuration file as the number of projects are varying.

Any hook script that search for a pattern matching for the name "tags"
and prevent for write would be fine.

> 1) As Andy suggested, use "authz" or path-based authorization to limit
> write access. This choice is limited because it doesn't support a very
> elegant form of pattern matching for the paths. If you often change the
> list of projects/areas, you may find this requires constant
> administration.

As tags folders are growing, we can not use this idea.

> 2) Develop a "pre-commit" hook using your favorite scripting/coding
> language. This allows you to use a fancier form of path pattern matching
> that can reduce your administration time.

Found a solution for linux, here.

The book "Subversion Version Control" by William Nagel downloaded from
www.informit.com/content/images/0131855182/downloads/Nagel_book.pdf

talks this issue on
11.2.6 Make Tags Immutable

We need the same hook script for windows.

help me to get this.

Thanks.

T.Shrinivasan

My experiences with Linux are here
http://goinggnu.wordpress.com

For Free and Open Source Jobs
http://fossjobs.wordpress.com

RE: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

> We have several internal releases of our projects and
> we maintain those releases under "tags" folders.
>
> but we get into trouble as people often commit into tags folder.
>
> We are in the need of some kind of hook scripts
> which can prevent write on tags folders.
>
> Please help me to get the hook script for windows.

No hook needed. Deny write access to the tags directory for everyone
except those who are permitted to create tags.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 15:44, Shrinivasan T <ts...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> No hook needed. Deny write access to the tags directory for everyone
>> except those who are permitted to create tags.
>>

> Thanks.
>
> Is it so simple?
> fine.
>
> But still I wonder how to do this?
>
> give me some example configuration file.

Look at the per-directory access controls described in the manual.

Re: How to make the "tags" folder immutable?

Posted by Shrinivasan <ts...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.