Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de> on 2003/05/06 14:13:55 UTC

Ant integration proposal - Status

Hi all,

     /------------------------------------------------\
     | CC-ing cactus-user, in case someone not        |
     | subscribed to the dev-list is interested in    |
     | this. All follow-up discussion on cactus-dev,  |
     | please.                                        |
     | For background info, see:                      |
     |   <http://cvs.apache.org/~cmlenz/cactus-ant/>. |
     \------------------------------------------------/

the Ant integration in the proposal branch CACTUS_14_ANT_BRANCH is now
in a pretty good state. I've migrated the Servlet-Sample to use the new
Ant tasks <cactify> and <cactus> in that branch, and after the changes
today am able to run all tests successfully against most containers (one
test fails on Orion 1.6.0b, but that seems to be an Orion bug, and also
fails with the current Cactus HEAD; another test fails with JBoss 3.2.0,
which I'll need to investigate).

Aside from me having some documentation work to do, I'd be very glad if
you could checkout the new Ant integration:

   cvs co -r CACTUS_14_ANT_BRANCH jakarta-cactus

I really need some feedback on this. IMHO, the new integration is very
nice ;-) , and I would love to see it in the upcoming beta.

FYI, the TODO list:
-------------------
  - Make the nested <containers> element a real Ant DataType, so that it
can be defined at the top of the build file (for example), and be
referred to later by <containers refid="${j2ee12.containers}">. Possibly
rename it to <containerset>, to be more in line with common Ant naming.

  - Improve&test or remove WL7.x support. The current support doesn't
work against WL7SP2, the same is probably true of the WL-support in CVS
HEAD. WebLogic gurus needed :-)

  - Integrate clover with the sample-servlet build

  - Integrate logging via Log4J with the sample-servlet (do we really
need this, it'll complicate the example build file?)

  - Think about what to do with the multitude of scripts and script
fragments in the Ant integration.

Re: Ant integration proposal - Status

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Julien Ruaux wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I've taken a look at the new Ant integration, and I am somewhat confused
> about how to use it.

Okay cool. The API documentation is still somewhat bad, so I can
understand the confusion given that you're not sitting in my head :-)

> I want to incorporate it to the Eclipse plugin, so as to start and stop
> containers.
> What is the way to do that with the Task classes you added ?

For starting and stopping containers, you need to look at the
o.a.c.integration.ant.container package, which contains some utility
classes and abstractions, as well as the
o.a.c.integration.ant.container.[containername] packages, which contain
the support for specific containers.

Note that while all the classes of interest are dependant on Ant (most
of them extend ProjectComponent, too), they are not tasks, and are even
intended to be usable outside of a 'real' Ant build.

So, what you would do to run -- say -- Tomcat 4.x would be something
similar to the following:

   Tomcat4xContainer tomcat4x = new Tomcat4xContainer();
   tomcat4x.setAntTaskFactory(<see CactusTask for an example>);
   tomcat4x.setDir(<tomcat install dir>);
   tomcat4x.setWarFile(<the war file>);
   // if you want logging:
   tomcat4x.setLog(<either use AntLog, or a custom Log impl>);

   ContainerRunner runner = new ContainerRunner(tomcat4x);
   runner.setUrl(<the test url>);
   runner.setTimeout(60000); // optional, default is 3 min
   runner.startUpContainer();

   // now run the tests

   runner.shutDownContainer();

I can imagine that some parts are missing to integrate this stuff with
Eclipse, so we'll need to work those out. I have some ideas, but those
will need to wait for another mail :-)

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Julien Ruaux wrote:
> Chris,
>
> sorry I just found out that I had to use the ContainerFactory. Now I am
> wondering how I can get a list of supported containers ?

You can't... currently. Because it isn't needed by the Ant task. Of
course it would be easy to add.

Note that you can also instantiate any given container directly, and
probably you'll need to do that in the beginning because every container
has some specific attributes that are not accessible by the Container
interface.

The Container interface is currently meant to be only the minimal
interface between the CactusTask, the ContainerRunner and the specific
containers. This works with Ant because Ant is heavily based on
introspection. The user can configure every container directly via the
property setters of the nested element.

With the Eclipse plugin, we have preference/property pages (or something
similar) instead of nested elements. ATM, I see two options for using
the proposed Ant integration in the Eclipse plug-in:

  1) Make every dialog for container configuration use the specific
     container implementation classes directly

  2) Use some kind of property introspection mechanism to build the
     dialog elements. That would be most elegant, but probably hard to
     get right.

The first option is probably the more realistic goal for the time being.

> BTW congrats for the new Ant integration, seems pretty neat !

Thanks! I hope we'll be able to integrate it with the Eclipse plug-in.