Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Brandon L. Wisenburg" <br...@wisenburg.com> on 2018/07/11 15:32:20 UTC

SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received

Greetings List,
I am getting an error when attempting to svn update.

svn update
svn: OPTIONS of 'https://domain/src': SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received: Handshake failed (https://www.domain.com)

Odd part is I am not sure why it is failing. Has anyone seen this issue before?

===========================

Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Brandon L. Wisenburg" <br...@wisenburg.com> writes:

> Hi Philip
> Thanks for the reply. The odd part is when I do the openssl s_client
> it looks like the handshake is successful.

Yes, that's to be expected because the client is sending OPTIONS.  You
haven't told us which version of Subversion/SSL you are using but I
still suspect the client SSL library is too old.  It's not some obvious
incompatibility, such as incompatible encryption algorithm, but
something more obscure, e.g. missing client support for SNI.

--
Philip

Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received

Posted by "Brandon L. Wisenburg" <br...@wisenburg.com>.
Hi Philip
Thanks for the reply. The odd part is when I do the openssl s_client it looks like the handshake is successful.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
[ If possible, this list prefers bottom-posting / inline replies in
plain text. More below ... ]

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM, Brandon L. Wisenburg
> Hi Johan,
> Yes, I edited out the actual domain. I can hit the URL via a browser and get prompted for a password. The SSL Cert also checks out OK via SSLChecker. Any other thoughts?

Hm, just a generic problem-solving thought: this worked before (since
you created a checkout from that url), so ... what changed? Something
must have changed to cause the error.

Is your pc the only one getting this error, and it works fine on
other's pc in your environment? That would help pinpointing the
problem to a either a central component or just your pc.

First suspects, IMHO, are:
- Something in the network infrastructure, or with the network
configuration of your pc. Perhaps your connection is now sent to /
manipulated by a proxy, whereas it wasn't before. Maybe you can
experiment a bit with the http-proxy-* options (for instance configure
http-proxy-exceptions for your domain) in the 'servers' configuration
file in your Subversion runtime configuration directory
(~/.subversion/servers on unix, or %APPDATA%/Subversion/servers on
Windows).
- A change in the server-side configuration (the httpd configuration).

--
Johan

Re: SSL handshake failed: SSL alert received

Posted by "Brandon L. Wisenburg" <br...@wisenburg.com>.
Hi Johan,

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.