Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Dieter Stüken <d....@conterra.de> on 2014/10/16 14:00:46 UTC

using of 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT

Hello

I started to utilize some GIS functionalities within our analysis software.
Since we switched to Java8/JavaFX already a year ago I like to use the 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT.

Some utility classes however are still pending on geotoolkit.
I also like to analyze the supplied geotoolkit demos to get an impression of how things work together.

Thus I currently try to use/compile geotoolkit 4.x-SNAPSHOT against apache.sis 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT.
I simply changed: <sis.version>0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT</sis.version> and added the Apache snapshot repository.
Only a small problem occurred: JDK8.print/parseDateTime functions are called which are dropped from 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT.

This may be fixed easily but I wonder if there are more compatibility issues to prevent me from using sis 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT with geotoolkit?
May be I missed some jdk8 branch for geotools? (will geotools be resolved completely some day?)

Else a JDK8.java stub might simply be reintroduced @Deprecated to 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT just to delegate those methods to java.time.format directly.

Dieter.

Re: using of 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Dieter

Le 16/10/14 21:36, Dieter Stüken a écrit :
> Instead of a further copy of the emulation code  I would prefer a strongly deprecated stub on 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT.
> This will also show exactly which Java8 function shall be called instead. (since I also don't know It, too :-)
> Only the two date functions mentioned are needed...

No problem. I will put the stubs on Geotk (I don't think that we need to
have them in SIS).

    Regards,

        Martin

RE: using of 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT

I don't think there is other incompatibility than the "org.apache.sis.internal.jdk8" package dropped on the JDK8 branch. The only purpose of this package is to provide some substitute for JDK8 functionalities that are not available in older Java releases. So naturally, this package is not needed anymore on the JDK8 branch.

Just providing a copy of this package in, for example, geotk-utilities module should be sufficient for fixing the compilation errors. I think everything else should work fine. Indeed, I use myself Geotk with the SIS JDK8 branch on my local copy, and copying the "jdk8" package is what I did.

We do not have a JDK8 branch of Geotoolkit. But the intend is to move almost all Geotoolkit functionalities to all branches of Apache SIS. The code is not moved "as is" however - it get a round of cleaning, consolidation and upgrade to new standards (ISO 19115:2014 and WKT 2 for instance), which is why the port is not as fast as I would have liked.

    Martin

Re: using of 0.5-jdk8-SNAPSHOT

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Dieter