Posted to women@apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2005/11/02 15:54:06 UTC

Re: Is posting to this list easy or hard?

Justy touches on an fundamental issue of the ASF itself: openness in
(most) mailing lists.  It's fundamental to how we do things - both make
technical decisions about projects on pmc@ or dev@ lists, as well as on
community-based lists like women@ or community@ (or party@).

I'm not sure how to make the openness easier; I'm so used to it I don't
even think about it anymore (my Google number is all about my past xml
project participation).  A couple of random thoughts:

- Anything you email to a group is nearly public anyways.  Remember,
every single person who gets your email probably saves it somewhere, may
forward it to other folks who find it useful, and in some cases may make
it public anyway (either on purpose or mistakenly).  So posting to an
ASF list with a public archive isn't that much more exposure than other
emails you've sent.

- Having the public archive is critical for community building.  Don't
think about the tiny possibility that you'll be embarassed by something
you wrote a year from now.  Think of all the readers to the list (or
archive) who will either 1) learn something from the answers to your
question, or 2) feel more comfortable posting to the list themselves.

Public archives are also fundamental to how the ASF views communities of
all sorts.

- Trust me - if you're reading this, and you've read the list for a bit
and thought about good netiquette, then you're not going to be
embarassed about a posting.  If you're worrying about it, you'll do just
fine.  There are plenty of examples of people who don't think about it
at all and post all sorts of dumb stuff who can take up all the
embarassing slots.

Note that we do have a number of mailing lists which are not publicly
archived, like board@, legal-blah@, and so on.  These are kept private
for various legal and organizational reasons, since much of the official
running of the ASF as a corporation cannot effectively be done in
immediate public view.  Note that board minutes and other items are
always posted publicly later

- Shane

### Faqtoid:
What the heck does "party@" mean?
That's shorthand for the party -at- apache =dot= org mailing list.
Folks often use just the name of the list as shorthand; the domain name
is either apache.org or the 'obvious' domain name (i.e. xml.apache.org,
or jakarta.apache.org, etc.)