Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Henry Hung <YT...@winbond.com> on 2013/07/25 06:55:11 UTC

Connection reset by peer. Count of bytes read: 0

Hi All,

I'm a HBase newbie. Today I start to do stress test using 4 java process to load large amount of rows (1 minute = 18,000 rows). After a while, one of my region server log got this kind of WARN message:

WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server listener on 60020: readAndProcess threw exception java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer. Count of bytes read: 0

Question:

1.      What is the meaning of this WARN message?

2.      I haven't check the data integrity, but is there any chance of data loss when encounter this WARN message?

Additional info:
For this stress test, I have 10 servers (with each server having region server and data node).
Only one server has that WARN message.

Best regards,
Henry

________________________________
The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.

Re: Connection reset by peer. Count of bytes read: 0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Henry Hung <YT...@winbond.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm a HBase newbie. Today I start to do stress test using 4 java process
> to load large amount of rows (1 minute = 18,000 rows). After a while, one
> of my region server log got this kind of WARN message:
>
> WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server listener on 60020:
> readAndProcess threw exception java.io.IOException: Connection reset by
> peer. Count of bytes read: 0
>
> Question:
>
> 1.      What is the meaning of this WARN message?

This is pretty good on the 'Connection reset by peer':
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1434451/what-does-connection-reset-by-peer-mean

The message is from our internal IPC/RPC listener thread.  It is trying to
read a query from the client but the client gave up on us before we could
read anything (0 bytes).

> 2.      I haven't check the data integrity, but is there any chance of
> data loss when encounter this WARN message?

Client side we'll retry up to a configurable amount of times.  If we do not
succeed, if the client fails to write, you will see an exception in  your
application complaining that this is the case.

> Additional info:
> For this stress test, I have 10 servers (with each server having region
> server and data node).
> Only one server has that WARN message.

Would suggest you add data validation to assuage any concerns you have
about data loss.

St.Ack