Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org> on 2002/11/23 23:14:03 UTC

karma and cvs commit messages

Since we renamed the repository to httpd from httpd-2.0 (there is
a symlink for now), the CVSROOT/avail file doesn't match
the repository name, and therefore I can't commit. Can we
fix that so I can commit to the new "httpd" repository directly?

Also, we need to get commit messages to show which branch
the commit went against.

-aaron

Re: karma and cvs commit messages

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 05:32 PM 11/23/2002, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>Since we renamed the repository to httpd from httpd-2.0 (there is
>>a symlink for now), the CVSROOT/avail file doesn't match
>>the repository name, and therefore I can't commit. Can we
>>fix that so I can commit to the new "httpd" repository directly?
>
>Why the heck was that done?  Too many things get screwed over
>when you change a module name in cvs.
>
>-1 -- I am reverting that change to cvs.  Don't screw with this stuff
>without a clear plan in STATUS, and notify apmail and cvsadmin before
>screwing with the filesystem.  It would have been far more sensible
>not to branch 2.0 and instead create a new module that doesn't suffer
>from legacy versions.

Speaking of plans and the comments above, it seems to make sense
to keep the httpd-2.0 CVS module name, until we are ready to release
2.0.  All of the development effort is twords some future 2.2 or the
current 2.0, and those that like to live on the bleeding edge check out
cvs HEAD anyways.  But we've been operating this was for months,
with files that the respective RM's have chosen not to put into the
current version, for whatever conservative and reasoned reasons.

When 2.2 is 'cooked', I agree with Roy's observation, we toast the
httpd repository (with complete history) in either CVS or SVN, based
on the best-of-breed at that moment.

Bill

Re: karma and cvs commit messages

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 02:35  PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
wrote:

>> Also, we need to get commit messages to show which branch
>> the commit went against.
>
> It does... by default (no branch) the commit is against cvs HEAD
> (the development branch.)  The commit message alerts you when
> the commit is against the APACHE_2_0_BRANCH.

Ah yes you are correct; I see the branch in the message now.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
At 04:14 PM 11/23/2002, Aaron Bannert wrote:
>Since we renamed the repository to httpd from httpd-2.0 (there is
>a symlink for now), the CVSROOT/avail file doesn't match
>the repository name, and therefore I can't commit. Can we
>fix that so I can commit to the new "httpd" repository directly?

Sounds like we simply add the httpd module to the httpd-2.0 list.
Infrastructure, who can handle this?

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Agreed.

Didn't know we were in the business of screwing ourselves like this...

david

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Agreed 100%

This whole episode stinks...