Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/02/26 14:52:56 UTC

roadmap info needed

A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.

What is the roadmap for it?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>> Current blocker issue is excalibur-instrument, which ECM and
>>> fortress require, but which kinda depends on altrmi, which is
>>> unreleased. Also, we need some docs on instrument, and Steve is
>>> unhappy with some of the code IIUC. We might get to more showstopper
>>> issues in the cornerstone dependency tree, can't tell until we're
>>> done :D
>>

>> As far as the cornerstone-scheduler package is concerned there are no
>> "blocker" issues.  The dependency relative to the insrumentable suite
>> only concerns the excalibur-instrument package which is independent
>> of instrument manager and instrument client.  The issues I have
>> raised concern the need to separate out the transport in the
>> instrument-manager package into a separate build - and the need to
>> either make the instrument client transport independent or repackage
>> it as a altRMI specific instrument client.  Non of these issues
>> impact the excalibur-instrument package.
>

> IMV it makes absolutely no sense to release excalibur-instrument and
> not release excalibur-instrument-client and
> excalibur-instrument-manager, so the distinction doesn't matter. Right?

The Client Contract
-------------------

The excalibur-instrument package contains the Instrumentable interface
and a couple of Instrument classes, the InstrumentManager interface plus
a few other client side things).  This package does not dictate how an
Instrumentable object handler is established - it simply declares the
contract through which instruments can be exposed.  The subject of
instrument and its relationship to framework came up presumably because
of the fact that ECM and Fortress include Instrumentable as a potential
lifecycle stage.  I mentioned that this could be abstracted out by
dealing with the instrumentable stage as a lifecycle extension.  In such
a scenario, a component declares that it has a requirement for
instrumentation handling (using meta info in Merlin or roles files in
Fortress).  The container is then responsible for establishing the
handler to service the lifecycle stage.

As such I don't see any obsticle concerning a release of this package.

The Implementation
------------------

The excalibur-instrument-manager package contains an implementation of
an instrument manager. It can be broken down into two things:

  a) the instrument manager itself
  b) a remote monitoring service

The instrument manager has been implemented such that the remote monitor
can be handled independnetly of the manager. A moritor has been
implemented based on the AltRMI package.  This monitor is made of two
classes in the excalibur-instrument-manager package, and all of the
content in the current excalibur-instrument-client package.

The instrument manager IMO is at candidate status once the remote
monitoring functions are seperated out.  The ideal scenario would be the
delivery of a local monitor as part of the default package solution
(i.e. a monitor that is colocated with the manager).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
>> Current blocker issue is excalibur-instrument, which ECM and fortress
>> require, but which kinda depends on altrmi, which is unreleased. Also,
>> we need some docs on instrument, and Steve is unhappy with some of the
>> code IIUC. We might get to more showstopper issues in the cornerstone
>> dependency tree, can't tell until we're done :D
>
> As far as the cornerstone-scheduler package is concerned there are no
> "blocker" issues.  The dependency relative to the insrumentable suite
> only concerns the excalibur-instrument package which is independent of
> instrument manager and instrument client.  The issues I have raised
> concern the need to separate out the transport in the instrument-manager
> package into a separate build - and the need to either make the
> instrument client transport independent or repackage it as a altRMI
> specific instrument client.  Non of these issues impact the
> excalibur-instrument package.

IMV it makes absolutely no sense to release excalibur-instrument and not
release excalibur-instrument-client and excalibur-instrument-manager, so
the distinction doesn't matter. Right?

cheers,

- Leo

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
>> continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.
>>
>> What is the roadmap for it?
>

> releasing the cornerstone components is part of the "coordinated
> avalon release". We want to do a release of all of the cornerstone
> dependencies before we get to releasing cornerstone.
>
> Current blocker issue is excalibur-instrument, which ECM and fortress
> require, but which kinda depends on altrmi, which is unreleased. Also,
> we need some docs on instrument, and Steve is unhappy with some of the
> code IIUC. We might get to more showstopper issues in the cornerstone
> dependency tree, can't tell until we're done :D

Leo:

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
> continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.
>
> What is the roadmap for it?

releasing the cornerstone components is part of the "coordinated avalon
release". We want to do a release of all of the cornerstone dependencies
before we get to releasing cornerstone.

Current blocker issue is excalibur-instrument, which ECM and fortress
require, but which kinda depends on altrmi, which is unreleased. Also,
we need some docs on instrument, and Steve is unhappy with some of the
code IIUC. We might get to more showstopper issues in the cornerstone
dependency tree, can't tell until we're done :D

We also need to finish the build split up in avalon-cornerstone where
each of the cornerstone components can be individually built, packaged, etc.

Looking at the current rate the release process is going, it'll take a
while before its released. I don't think there's any standing issues
with the scheduler component itself beside an outstanding patch to do
with dec 31st.

In summary, the roadmap is "release ASAP, but release dependencies first
and do proper testing to ensure things work together". How long that
takes depends on how many people do the work.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
> continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.
>
> What is the roadmap for it?

Cornerstone-Sheduler is one of the cornerstone components that I have
seperated out into an indepedent build as part of preparation for a
release.  Schedular depends on the cornerstone thread component which in
turn depends on the excalibur thread and threadcontext packages.

Here is the full table relative to cornerstone scheduler:

  cornerstone-scheduler-1.0   candidate    cornerstone-threads-1.0
  cornerstone-threads-1.0     candidate    excalibur-thread-1.1
  excalibur-thread-1.1        candidate    avalon-framework-4.1.*
                                           excalibur-threadcontext-1.0
                                           excalibur-pool-1.2
                                           excalibur-instrument-0.3
                                           avalon-logkit-1.2
  excalibur-threadcontext-1.0 released     -
  excalibur-pool-1.2          candidate    avalon-framework-4.1.*

 commons-collections-2.1
                                           excalibur-instrument-0.3
                                           avalon-logkit-1.2
  excalibur-instrument-0.3    candidate    avalon-framework-4.1.*

Cheers, Steve.

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:52, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
> continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.
>
> What is the roadmap for it?

The code is fairly solid but I would recomend you copy+paste it into Cocoon
for the time being because I can't see it being released properly anytime
soon and there is no need to add a dep on cornerstone unless you need more
than one component.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: roadmap info needed

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
>>continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.
>

> James uses the scheduler, too.  Are you asking about additional development,
> or raising a concern that it not be removed?

I guess fixing of the "December 31" bug and release?

Ulrich

RE: roadmap info needed

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> A new and very important cocoon 2.1 subsystem (the flowscript
> continuation manager) depends on Cornerstone Scheduler.

James uses the scheduler, too.  Are you asking about additional development,
or raising a concern that it not be removed?

	--- Noel