Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by "Everitt, Andrew" <An...@gbr.xerox.com> on 2000/07/07 16:21:23 UTC

Contribution - Visual SourceSafe task

I haven't done this before so please excuse me if I get the procedure wrong!

Craig Cottingham and I have created a task for interacting with Microsoft
Visual SourceSafe and would like the committers to consider it for inclusion
as an optional task with ANT.

I have attached the two source files which should reside the package
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.vss

At present I am only including a task to GET files from SourceSafe as that
is the one that has undergone a reasonable amount of testing. I hope to add
tasks for other SourceSafe commands as I get them done.

Comments Welcome ;-)

Cheers,
Andi.
____________________
Andrew Everitt
Xerox Mobile Solutions, Cambridge. UK

BTW: Craig -> I hope this is alright with you - your email address doesn't
seem to be working ATM - perhaps you could drop me a message!

Re: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?

Posted by Paul Hodgetts <pa...@zzyzxtek.com>.
James Higginbotham wrote:

 > I was considering writing a StarTeam task for Ant to check out and check in
 > files. Anyone already writing this?

I haven't started on one yet, but it's next on my list after I
get the WebLogic EJB generation figured out.

I don't know what the protocol is for getting involved, but if
you'd like any help or input for the StarTeam task, I'd be happy
to help out.  If not, please let me know when you have something
available.

Thanks,
-Paul Hodgetts

Re: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?

Posted by "Sergey V. Udaltsov" <Se...@artificial-life.com>.
I just give my personal opinion.

> 1) Simply use an exec task to spawn the stcmd, just as you would CVS or VSS.
Not very interesting, since most of users already have this ability.

> 2) Use the StarGate API, which would allow in-VM invocation of the client
> (it comes with the SDK) rather than an exec task.
That's it!

> Either method would require:
> a) the ant build script to search for stcmd or the SDK in the system
> PATH/CLASSPATH and either build or not build the task, since it to be an
> optional tag
Sad. But that's the only option we have. Probably, someday someone will
reverse-enginieer ST protocols and create LGPLed library...

> I am considering:
> a) Building the task as an exec task to prevent the SDK dependency
> b) Building the task as generic as possible to allow check-in,check-out,etc.
> In other words, make it mirror the command line args
> c) Later, build some additional tasks for specific check-in, check-out
> tasks.
Probably, start with c)? Simple "exec" task is already available today.
But using all the features of ST API would be really interesting.

This was just my HO...

--
Sergey V. Udaltsov

RE: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?

Posted by James Higginbotham <ja...@momentumsoftware.com>.
Well, there are 2 options:

1) Simply use an exec task to spawn the stcmd, just as you would CVS or VSS.
2) Use the StarGate API, which would allow in-VM invocation of the client
(it comes with the SDK) rather than an exec task.

Either method would require:
a) the ant build script to search for stcmd or the SDK in the system
PATH/CLASSPATH and either build or not build the task, since it to be an
optional tag
b) The system to have a StarTeam license for the client or SDK (client is
more probable). If you need the task, you must have a license :)

I am considering:
a) Building the task as an exec task to prevent the SDK dependency
b) Building the task as generic as possible to allow check-in,check-out,etc.
In other words, make it mirror the command line args
c) Later, build some additional tasks for specific check-in, check-out
tasks.

Thoughts, comments?

Regards,
James

> I was considering writing a StarTeam task for Ant to check out and check
in
> files. Anyone already writing this?
This could be wonderful!!!!
Please do it!

But AFAIK StarTeam's client-side Java API is not free. How will you
distribute it?

--
Sergey V. Udaltsov

Re: Anyone writing a StarTeam Task?