Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Allison, Bob" <ro...@qwest.com> on 2006/03/08 15:13:48 UTC

Question About Deploying Project Sites

I want to create a web site that looks like this:
index.html
  +--parent-1.0/index.html
  +--proj1-1.0/index.html
  +--proj1-1.1/index.html
  +--proj2-1.0/index.html

and so on...  Basically, I wanted each version of each project to deploy
its site to a different directory.  This also means that SNAPSHOT
versions deploy in a different directory than releases.
My parent project and all of its modules are peer directories in the
build directories, so the parent project has
"<module>../proj1</module>".

In the parent project, I defined the site deployment URL to be
"file://${user.home}/public_html/projects/${project.artifactId}-${projec
t.version}".  Each of the other projects inherit this definition.  When
I do a site:deploy, I get the following structure:
/home/allisord/public_html/projects/index.html
  +--parent-1.0/index.html
  +--proj1-1.0
       +--proj1/index.html
  +--proj2-1.0
       +--proj2/index.html

I get the module name tacked on to the end of the inherited string,
which I guess is expected since the URL is inherited.  I guess I have
two questions:

1) I noticed some discussion (I think on the dev@ list) that the desired
path for a subproject site in this case should be
.../projects/parent/child/... rather than .../projects/child/... that
was generated.  Is this correct?

2) I am guessing that if I put the URL string in each subproject, then
the URL won't be mangled since it won't be inherited.  Is there some
other way to accomplish the web site I am looking for?