Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/25 18:08:09 UTC

The Release of Lucene 2.9

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene dev community (a growing community far larger
than just the committers) I would like to announce the release of
Lucene 2.9.

While we generally try and maintain full backwards compatibility
between major versions, Lucene 2.9 has a variety of breaks that are
spelled out in the 'Changes in backwards compatibility policy' section
of CHANGES.txt.

We recommend that you recompile your application with Lucene 2.9
rather than attempting to “drop” it in. This will alert you to any
issues you may have to fix if you are affected by one of the backward
compatibility breaks. As always, its a really good idea to thoroughly
read CHANGES.txt before upgrading.

Lucene 2.9 comes with a bevy of new features, including:

  * Per segment searching and caching (can lead to much faster reopen
    among other things)

  * Near real-time search capabilities added to IndexWriter

  * New Query types

  * Smarter, more scalable multi-term queries (wildcard, range, etc)

  * A freshly optimized Collector/Scorer API

  * Improved Unicode support and the addition of Collation contrib

  * A new Attribute based TokenStream API

  * A new QueryParser framework in contrib with a core QueryParser
    replacement impl included.

  * Scoring is now optional when sorting by Field, or using a custom
    Collector, gaining sizable performance when scores are not
    required.

  * New analyzers (PersianAnalyzer, ArabicAnalyzer,
    SmartChineseAnalyzer)

  * New fast-vector-highlighter for large documents

  * Lucene now includes high-performance handling of numeric fields.
    Such fields are indexed with a trie structure, enabling simple to
    use and much faster numeric range searching without having to
    externally pre-process numeric values into textual values.

  ---

And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_0/changes/Changes.html

Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's Contrib area:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_0/changes/Contrib-Changes.html

Binary and source distributions are available at
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/

The Next Release:

The next release will be Lucene 3.0. This should come along shortly,
and will
remove all of the deprecated code in Lucene 2.9. Lucene 3.0 will also
be the
first release to move from Java 1.4 to Java 1.5 as a requirement.

Thanks,

Mark Miller

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mike! I've moved them over.

Thanks a lot again for catching this Tim!

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK done.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Replication has been achieved. Appreciate the heads up.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yup ;) Takes a bit before they are replicated out.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Tim Smith <ts...@attivio.com>.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Will do!

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Tim Smith <ts...@attivio.com>.

Re: Fwd: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Friday 25 September 2009 19:09:08 Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Now we can move off of the Lucene SNAPSHOT version included in Mahout
> onto an official release.

Great. Congratulations. And just in time for the talk on Lucene 2.9 by Uwe
Schindler in Berlin next week.

Isabel

--
QOTD: QOTD:  The forest may be quiet, but that doesn't mean  the snakes have
gone away.
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Fwd: The Release of Lucene 2.9

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Now we can move off of the Lucene SNAPSHOT version included in Mahout
onto an official release.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
>
>  ---
>
> And many, many more features, bug fixes, optimizations, and various
> improvements. You can find the full list of changes here:
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_0/changes/Changes.html
>

> Many changes have also occurred in Lucene's Contrib area:
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_0/changes/Contrib-Changes.html
>

> Binary and source distributions are available at
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/
>
> Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/
>
> The Next Release:
>
> The next release will be Lucene 3.0. This should come along shortly,
> and will
> remove all of the deprecated code in Lucene 2.9. Lucene 3.0 will also
> be the
> first release to move from Java 1.4 to Java 1.5 as a requirement.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search