Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "alan.gerhard" <al...@gercom.com> on 2003/04/23 18:19:08 UTC

Max Connections vs. Throtteling

I am experiencing a problem where James is maxed out with
connections and is refussing more - as it should.

I set the max to 30 - which seemed a fine idea at the time.
I cannot see why all 30 connections are used unless a mail
bomb is being launched.

I have not seen the capability of throttling mails in James.
Have I overlooked this somewhere ?

RE: Max Connections vs. Throtteling

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
If you are on linux, you can run

 $ lsof -i | grep smtp | grep LISTEN | wc -l

which will give you the number of listening threads, and

 $ lsof -i | grep smtp | grep ESTABLISHED | wc -l

which will give you the number of threads with established connections.  The
report is a bit odd with linux kernel 2.2.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you
what you'll see on a 2.4 kernel right now, since I'm not where I can reach
that machine, but I do know that it is different.  My recollection is that
the report is saner.

Basically, with a 2.2 kernel, you would take the value from the ESTABLISHED
connections and divided it by the LISTEN connections to get the number of
current connections.  Do the same for pop3.

If you run "lsof -i | grep smtp | grep ESTABLISHED | more", and look at the
remote address:port combinations, you can figure out who is connected to
your smtp port.  Do the same for pop3.

	--- Noel