Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/03 14:39:05 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Retirement of midonet plugin

Recently there have been two threads asking and discussing the “midonet”
integration with Apache CloudStack (ACS) [1-2].

After quite some discussions, we noticed that despite having some people
willing to use it, the plugin has never been fully developed by its vendor
(Midokura). Further, nobody else has put the effort on fully testing and
finishing its implementation. It seems that the plugin was incorporated
into our code base without being fully finished. Moreover, I have asked
around at the Midonet community, and the java client they use has changed
quite a bit from the one we use.

It begs the question if it does not work, why do we advertise such
integration? [3].

Following the component retirement process defined in [4], a vote thread
was started in [5]. The community decided to retire this Midonet plugin.
The Jira ticket (CLOUDSTACK-9858) represents the first step of the
retirement process, which is the disabling of the plugin in CloudStack`s
build process. I will work on this ticket in the next week or so. The final
removal will happen under Jira ticket (CLOUDSTACK-9859), which is scheduled
for six months from now. I will also work on this ticket when the time
comes.

Thanks for everybody that participated in our discussions and voting
threads.

PS: If someone decides to put the effort for development and maintenance of
this plugin, we will stop the retirement process. I would love to do that ;)

[1]
http://cloudstack.markmail.org/thread/qyedle5jb2c34gsc#query:+page:1+mid:xn2zq2v3eim5vl2q+state:results
[2]
http://cloudstack.markmail.org/message/rewzk4v7dgzpsxkm?q=midonet+order:date-backward&page=1#query:midonet%20order%3Adate-backward+page:1+mid:i563khxlginf6smg+state:results