Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Prasanth <db...@pangburngroup.com> on 2019/06/17 16:21:55 UTC

Invalid Field Value when using Map

Hi,

I have a form that uses maps to store data as shown below. When the user enters valid numbers it works as expected, but when user enters non digit characters in the text field a String object is saved
in the map rather than showing a "Invalid field value for field <field name>" message which is done for basic data types like int/long/double. Is this something that struts has not implemented for
maps yet, as the annotations provide the expected data type?

     @Element(value=java.lang.Double.class)
     private HashMap<Long, Double> deferralAmountValue = new HashMap<Long,Double>();
     @Element(value=java.lang.Double.class)
     private HashMap<Long, Double> deferralPercentValue = new HashMap<Long,Double>();

Thanks,
Prasanth

Re: Invalid Field Value when using Map

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.

On 6/24/2019 8:51 PM, Prasanth Pasala wrote:
> I have built a test project to just test the Map variables. In the
> validate method it does give a String object (for value of map). But
> seems like a field error is also added. If I try to use the map in
> validate method I would get a class cast exception, but if I don't do
> anything with the map values then the input page is displayed with
> invalid field value error.
>
> So I guess the issue is that my validate method is trying to validate
> the values in the map and that causes the exception, as the map has
> String values in it.
>
> I have to update the validation methods to check if the value is of type
> Double or not. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I also like to not see that value in Map but maybe it's required for
some reason - I didn't check. But you may use following workaround:

if (!hasFieldErrors() || !getFieldErrors().contains(myFieldName) {
    // my extra customized validation logic for myFieldName
}

>  I would have thought> that a field error would be added and the String value would not be
> added to the Map as the code is expecting Doubles.

Me too! Could you please put a break-point at your app's [1] and see
what happens next for that field?

Regards.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/struts/blob/651eac2c57396aa11ee65002006b3123dd69cbb4/core/src/main/java/com/opensymphony/xwork2/conversion/impl/XWorkConverter.java#L445

Posted by Prasanth Pasala <pp...@pangburngroup.com>.
I have built a test project to just test the Map variables. In the validate method it does give a String object (for value of map). But seems like a field error is also added. If I try to use the map
in validate method I would get a class cast exception, but if I don't do anything with the map values then the input page is displayed with invalid field value error.

So I guess the issue is that my validate method is trying to validate the values in the map and that causes the exception, as the map has String values in it.

I have to update the validation methods to check if the value is of type Double or not. Is this how it is supposed to work? I would have thought that a field error would be added and the String value

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Prasanth <db...@pangburngroup.com>.
Hi Yasser,