Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by gaurav chandani <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/25 14:13:58 UTC

Not able to find commons.number while contributing to commons.math

Hello!
Greetings.
I am trying to contribute to commons.math . So I cloned the project and
opened it in eclipse. It downloaded all the related required jar files,but
failed to download commons.number
So I tried to download from official page from apache.commons.numbers
But it showed there are no official releases but it is being used in apache
commons.math
Please help me out with this ,I am new to open source contribution.
With Regards,
Gaurav Chandani

Re: [Math][Numbers] Re: Not able to find commons.number while contributing to commons.math

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:43:37 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Gilles
> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 23:33:30 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Gilles
>>> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.

>>> I am annotating the library which can help the plugabble type
>>> checker
>>> which
>>> is Checker Framework,which can help in dealing with run time
>>> errors. I am
>>> currently trying to build the environment and read the source code
>>> ,there
>>> after understanding it, annotate it so that Checker
>>> Framework(particularly
>>> Index Checker can help in finding run time ArrayOutOfBound errors).
>>>

>> What is the added value of this tool wrt "SpotBugs"?
>>

> CheckerFramework  is  pluggable type System. It gives the restrictive
> usage
> to code and thus prevents errors. For example,
> String op(Data in) {
> return “transform: ” + in.getF();
> }
> String s=op(null)
> It will compile,but generate NullpointerExcetption,but using
> String op( @NonNull Data in{
> }
> String s=op(null) //This will result in error.
> Thus it adds following values to code as per my knowledge
> * Find
> *bugs in programs*
> ** *Guarantee absence of errors
> * Improves Documentation
> *Aid compilers,optimizers and analysis tools
> * Reduce number of run time checks.

Looks interesting...

> This all I have inferred from its manual. Apart from it I am planning
> appy for GSOC with CheckerFramework Organisation. Being new to open
> source
> projects ,GSOC can provide me with exposure and zeal to work on open
> source.
>

>> Please note that parts of "Commons Math" are being refactored
>> into smaller and more focused components.
>> Depending on your goals, it may be worth look at them first.
>

> Can you please provide me the link of this or where could I find
> refactored
> code.

They are in their respective "git" repositories:
   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-rng.git
   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-numbers.git
   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statistics.git
and (mirrored) on GitHub:
   https://github.com/apache/commons-rng

See also info on the component's dedicated web site:
   http://commons.apache.org/rng
(and similar for the other components).

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by gaurav chandani <ga...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 23:33:30 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>>
>>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 19:43:58 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>>

>>> Thanks!
>>> What would you like to work on?
>>>

>> I am annotating the library which can help the plugabble type checker
>> which
>> is Checker Framework,which can help in dealing with run time errors. I am
>> currently trying to build the environment and read the source code ,there
>> after understanding it, annotate it so that Checker Framework(particularly
>> Index Checker can help in finding run time ArrayOutOfBound errors).
>>

> What is the added value of this tool wrt "SpotBugs"?

CheckerFramework  is  pluggable type System. It gives the restrictive usage
to code and thus prevents errors. For example,
String op(Data in) {
return “transform: ” + in.getF();
}
String s=op(null)
It will compile,but generate NullpointerExcetption,but using
String op( @NonNull Data in{
}
String s=op(null) //This will result in error.
Thus it adds following values to code as per my knowledge
* Find
*bugs in programs*
** *Guarantee absence of errors
* Improves Documentation
*Aid compilers,optimizers and analysis tools
* Reduce number of run time checks.

This all I have inferred from its manual. Apart from it I am planning to

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 23:33:30 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Gilles
> <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 19:43:58 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>> Greetings.
>>> I am trying to contribute to commons.math .
>>>

>> Thanks!
>> What would you like to work on?
>>

> I am annotating the library which can help the plugabble type checker
> which
> is Checker Framework,which can help in dealing with run time errors.
> I am
> currently trying to build the environment and read the source code
> ,there
> after understanding it, annotate it so that Checker
> Framework(particularly
> Index Checker can help in finding run time ArrayOutOfBound errors).

What is the added value of this tool wrt "SpotBugs"?

Please note that parts of "Commons Math" are being refactored
into smaller and more focused components.
Depending on your goals, it may be worth look at them first.

>> So I cloned the project and
>>> opened it in eclipse. It downloaded all the related required jar
>>> files,but
>>> failed to download commons.number
>>> So I tried to download from official page from
>>> apache.commons.numbers
>>> But it showed there are no official releases but it is being used
>>> in
>>> apache

Posted by gaurav chandani <ga...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 19:43:58 +0530, gaurav chandani wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> Greetings.
>> I am trying to contribute to commons.math .
>>

> Thanks!
> What would you like to work on?

I am annotating the library which can help the plugabble type checker which
is Checker Framework,which can help in dealing with run time errors. I am
currently trying to build the environment and read the source code ,there
after understanding it, annotate it so that Checker Framework(particularly
Index Checker can help in finding run time ArrayOutOfBound errors).

> So I cloned the project and
>> opened it in eclipse. It downloaded all the related required jar files,but
>> failed to download commons.number
>> So I tried to download from official page from apache.commons.numbers
>> But it showed there are no official releases but it is being used in
>> apache
>> commons.math
>>

> Indeed, "maven" will download those dependencies from this repository:
>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots
> /org/apache/commons/
>
> Note that "Commons Numbers" is comprised of several modules/artefacts/JARs.
>
> Please help me out with this ,I am new to open source contribution.
>>

> Welcome.
> Don't hesitate to ask more questions; whne you post to this list,
> please add a prefix on the Subject: line that identifies the
> component concerned with the message (like I've done now)

Thank You so much for help. I have only heard about unity in open source
community,but first time felt it.
If you have any suggestions for me,please free to share.

With Regards,
Gaurav Chandani

Best regards,

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.