Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Pei Chen <ch...@apache.org> on 2014/04/16 18:37:02 UTC

Apache cTAKES Example Application?

We spent some time in the past to make it easier for users to launch the
CVD/CPE.
But based on the questions/discussions, I think we are passed this stage
and a very common use case would be for developers to use cTAKES as a lib,
extend a class or two and then, embed it into their existing app.

I am proposing a ctakes-web-demo for the sandbox,
A simple webapp- war/maven pom.xml that uses the ctakes as a dependency.
 Have a simple servlet that wires up a pipeline (uimaFIT style), and then
dump the CAS as html table.  We could even host it on:
https://demo-ctakes.apache.org/

It will probably only be a few lines of code, but it may be a good starting
point for developers who are more interested in using it as a lib and not
necessarily modifying ctakes code.

What do folks think?

--Pei

Re: Apache cTAKES Example Application?

Posted by John Green <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1!

Im mainly using ctakes as middleware, which is totally inline with this.

What is NCBO?

JG
—
Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

Posted by andy mcmurry <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
I have just added some documentation on how to create executable fat-jars
compatible in a uimaFIT-compatible way [1] - maybe that can be useful to you
in packaging cTAKES (example) applications.

Another thing I found very useful in the past was the creation of similarly
self-contained web-applications that come as a single JAR. A prominent
example of that species is Jenkins. Using "java -jar jenkins.jar", one
starts up the web application and can then access it using a browser.

It is very straight forward to create such runnable web application using
Winstone (previously used also by Jenkins) [2]. Jenkins has since switched
to using Jetty because Winstone was temporarily not further maintained.
Unfortunately, I do not know if using Jetty is comparably trivial as
using Winstone.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

-- Richard