Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> on 2014/01/01 04:58:34 UTC

Re: User feedback after BH survey

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:

> On 30 December 2013 00:11, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>
> > wrote:

> > wanted
> > inline)

> status

> helpful

> better
> > set
> > constrained

> > think
> > be
> if
> > it

> particular

> up

> has
> > assigned)
> be
> > >

> > > I was similarly troubled at one time by new tickets with an owner not
> > > being in the assigned state, which led to a small change in Trac. The
> > > following threads reference a plugin to address the issue, and some
> > similar
> > > opinions on the matter:
> > > http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/8484
> > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/trac-users/_ndwqwz9MUU
> > > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/trac-users/Sih7yxnLH9o
> > >
> > > I think it would make sense to have the assigned state track with the
> > > owner property in the same way that the closed state tracks with the
> > > resolution property. However, we'd need to look into the consequences
> of
> > > changing Trac's constraint that all tickets start in the new state.
> > >

> > This issue has also been discussed in trac:#2045. I think we can probably
> > change the behavior for Trac 1.2 so that tickets with an owner are always
> > in the assigned state.
> >
> > http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:2<
> http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:27>
>

> So this looks like you want to make it so that the ticket can start either
> as new or as assigned as the original message suggests. This is probably OK
> as long as we also keep note that 'assigned' is not a state that a workflow
> has to define. As such we cannot predict the status that a user will want
> to go directly to and that either means that it only works when that status
> is available or we allow the initial-state-if-owned to be configurable
> (perhaps defaulting to new if the specified state does not exist.)
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary

That is a good point about the potential of constraining the workflow to
have an assigned state.

I've proposed a different way to solve this issue, which I'm continuing to
investigate:
http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:28

Re: User feedback after BH survey

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 01/01/14 03:58, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> On 30 December 2013 00:11, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:

>>> wanted
>>> inline)

>> status

>> helpful

>> better
>>> set
>>> constrained

>>> think
>>> be
>> if
>>> it

>> particular

>> up

>> has
>>> assigned)
>> be

>>> similar

>> of
>>>>
>>> This issue has also been discussed in trac:#2045. I think we can probably
>>> change the behavior for Trac 1.2 so that tickets with an owner are always
>>> in the assigned state.
>>>
>>> http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:2<
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:27>
>>

>> So this looks like you want to make it so that the ticket can start either
>> as new or as assigned as the original message suggests. This is probably OK
>> as long as we also keep note that 'assigned' is not a state that a workflow
>> has to define. As such we cannot predict the status that a user will want
>> to go directly to and that either means that it only works when that status
>> is available or we allow the initial-state-if-owned to be configurable
>> (perhaps defaulting to new if the specified state does not exist.)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Gary
>>
> That is a good point about the potential of constraining the workflow to
> have an assigned state.
>
> I've proposed a different way to solve this issue, which I'm continuing to
> investigate:
> http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/2045#comment:28

Yes, I think that your solution there has a lot of merit, particularly
as, if I read it correctly, we would effectively become free to use any
name we like for the "new" state. As I implied in my reply on the
ticket, I would probably see if it were possible to avoid having a named
"none" state.

Cheers,
    Gary