Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jamie Norrish <ja...@artefact.org.nz> on 2021/04/12 20:45:30 UTC

LANG-624 bug causing problems in Cocoon 2.1

Hi,

The old bug LANG-264[1] is causing problems in Cocoon 2.1 on some
installations (seemingly all on Macs). This bug was fixed long ago, but
Cocoon 2.1.13 still uses commons-lang-2.4.jar, and replacing all of the
commons-* JARs and rebuilding Cocoon results in other errors.

What is the best way to proceed with this? The problem causes Cocoon to
fail to start due to immediate failure while initialising logging.

Thanks,

Jamie

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-624

Re: LANG-624 bug causing problems in Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Jamie Norrish <ja...@artefact.org.nz>.
On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:39 +0200, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:

> Any chance you can share your changes, even as PR against
>
> https://github.com/apache/cocoon/tree/BRANCH_2_1_X
>
> ?

Firstly, sorry for the delay responding to this.

The patches to Cocoon are to two files[1], but the one in
JavaLanguage.java, setting the compilerComplianceLevel to an integer
based on the Java version, makes use of something I added to my local
build of commons-lang - I didn't see there an existing means of getting
that information from the enum JavaVersion.

This was to avoid changing compilerComplianceLevel to be the new enum
JavaVersion in its various places - I wanted a quick fix!

I can rework my change to switch all instances of
compilerComplianceLevel from being an int to a JavaVersion, and the
flow-on changes (switch statements, compiler-compliance-level values
specified in xsp-program-language.xconf, etc), but I can't test the
results myself and am not directly connected with any of the people who
were experiencing the problem.

More broadly, might there be a need to overhaul or modernise at least
the documentation around compilation for any release of Cocoon 2.1 that
is updated to use commons-lang3 - Java 1.3 is going back a long way
now! But then I find the Java environment generally, and building
within it, an incomprehensible jungle; hopefully it makes sense to
people who are actually Java programmers.

[1] EclipseJavaCompiler.java and JavaLanguage.java, both in
blocks/xsp/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/language/programming/java/

Jamie

Re: LANG-624 bug causing problems in Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 18/04/21 00:07, Jamie Norrish wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-04-15 at 09:48 +1200, Jamie Norrish wrote:
>
>> Sadly it does apparently persist, I'm told, so I will try backporting
>> the fix and see how that goes.
> The backport (and slightly messy modifications to the Cocoon code)
> appears to have worked for at least some of the people experiencing the
> problem, which is good.
Glad to hear this!

Any chance you can share your changes, even as PR against

https://github.com/apache/cocoon/tree/BRANCH_2_1_X

?

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: LANG-624 bug causing problems in Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Jamie Norrish <ja...@artefact.org.nz>.

Posted by Jamie Norrish <ja...@artefact.org.nz>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 13/04/21 06:59, Jamie Norrish wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-04-13 at 06:42 +0200, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>
>> did you consider upgrading Cocoon to latest 2.1.x available, e.g.
>> 2.1.13? Besides the fix for the mentioned issue, you will get much
>> more.
> Sorry, I was under the mistaken impression that the systems under which
> the error occurred were running 2.1.13, but on second look it is an
> earlier version. I myself have never encountered the problem, but I've
> built 2.1.13 and hopefully someone who is affected can let me know
> whether it has solved the issue in the next day or two.
>
> Thank you, and apologies for the noise!

Oops, it seems that I've been reading 2.1.3 instead of 2.1.13 from your original message - blame mobile! :-)

Posted by Jamie Norrish <ja...@artefact.org.nz>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Hi,
did you consider upgrading Cocoon to latest 2.1.x available, e.g. 2.1.13? Besides the fix for the mentioned issue, you will get much more.

Download it from

http://cocoon.apache.org/mirror.cgi

as usual; change log is available at

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/changes.html