Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/06/08 23:14:26 UTC

Re: Discussions on Slider

Hi Anirban,

Applications that should be considered for deployment via Slider, should be intrinsically long running applications. Technically these applications should continue to run forever, unless the stop command is called.

Hence in your simple hello-world application you have to add an infinite wait statement after "hello world" is written to hdfs (something like "tail -f /dev/null" should work). Subsequently you can call the stop command to bring down all the N-instances.

Transient applications are not a good fit for Slider.

The memcached app-package is a very simple package and you can use it as a sample for your hello-world app -
https://github.com/apache/incubator-slider/tree/develop/app-packages/memcached

Also, we are constantly trying to improve site documentation, so if possible, would appreciate if you can file a doc bug with your inputs/feedback.

-Gour

From: Anirban Banerjee <ab...@rocketfuel.com>>
Date: Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM
To: Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>>, "dev@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@slider.incubator.apache.org>>
Cc: Nitin Aggarwal <na...@rocketfuelinc.com>>, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>>, Rakesh Saha <rs...@hortonworks.com>>
Subject: Re: Discussions on Slider

Adding the DL as per request.

~Anirban

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Anirban Banerjee <ab...@rocketfuel.com>> wrote:
Hi Gour,

Thanks for offering to help.

I am trying to build a hello-world application (N instances, each echo hello world to hdfs file, and ends) like I described on the white board last Thursday.

The instructions at http://slider.incubator.apache.org/docs/getting_started.html were easy to follow upto a point. However, I got stuck at the sample application section because document suddenly switched from How-To mode to Reference-Lookup mode.

Do you have a simple tutorial/codelab that helps me to build hello-world (described above) from here.

If not, I will dig into the code...

Thanks,
Anirban

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
Anirban,
Feel free to reach out directly to me or the DL dev@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org>. The DL is preferable as there will be a larger team behind your questions.

-Gour

Re: Discussions on Slider

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.
Basically if an app component exits from the start block of the script, then Slider considers it as a failure.

Apps running even for 5 mins are fine, as long as it was stopped by the stop command (before the 5 min mark).

Slider has plans to support repeatable short-lived services in the future (but it is not in the top of the list right now).

Can you provide some production-worhty use cases of your transient package requirement, to help us re-evaluate the desirability of this feature?

-Gour

From: Anirban Banerjee <ab...@rocketfuel.com>>
Date: Monday, June 8, 2015 at 2:40 PM
To: Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>>
Cc: "dev@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@slider.incubator.apache.org>>, Nitin Aggarwal <na...@rocketfuelinc.com>>, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>>, Rakesh Saha <rs...@hortonworks.com>>

Thanks Gour.

Theoretically speaking, I can build the start-stop shell around transient packages in a common library.

Are you saying that there is something inherent about slider that blocks transient applications (running into a few hours for e.g.).

Reason for question: I am interested in a framework that supports both long running services and transient packages.

Thx,
Anirban

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>> wrote:
This should also help -
http://slider.incubator.apache.org/docs/slider_specs/hello_world_slider_app.html

You can ignore the section “Add on package” and beyond in this doc.

-Gour

From: Anirban Banerjee <ab...@rocketfuel.com><mailto:abanerjee@rocketfuel.com%3E>>
Date: Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM
To: Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com><mailto:gsaha@hortonworks.com%3E>>, "dev@slider.incubator.apache.org<ma...@slider.incubator.apache.org><mailto:dev@slider.incubator.apache.org%3E>" <de...@slider.incubator.apache.org><mailto:dev@slider.incubator.apache.org%3E>>