Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Blackmore, Colin" <CB...@Engage.com> on 2001/07/31 21:38:20 UTC

Slashes within node names

Hi,

I'm currently using slide-1.0.11 to create a DAV interface to sit on top of
a legacy Content Management System.

Within the legacy system, there are a number of nodes containing slashes (
'/' ), which are causing problems for slide.

I have tried escaping them on the url ( using '%2F' ) but they are always
resolved back to a slash before any of the helper methods are called.  It
also appears that slide is internally using the resolved url to determine
the parent of the node.  As a result you are unable to browse down any of
these branches.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have any work-arounds?

Thanks

...Colin Blackmore

Re: Slashes within node names

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@betaversion.org>.
Quoting "Blackmore, Colin" <CB...@Engage.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using slide-1.0.11 to create a DAV interface to sit on top
> of
> a legacy Content Management System.
>
> Within the legacy system, there are a number of nodes containing slashes
> (
> '/' ), which are causing problems for slide.
>
> I have tried escaping them on the url ( using '%2F' ) but they are
> always
> resolved back to a slash before any of the helper methods are called.
> It
> also appears that slide is internally using the resolved url to
> determine
> the parent of the node.  As a result you are unable to browse down any
> of
> these branches.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have any work-arounds?

That's a tough problem.

The '/' is the path delimiter, and is a special character in many many systems,
including Slide.
Encoding it doesn't work either, because :
- the latest versions of Tomcat will simply refuse a request where '/' is
encoded as %2F, as it was the root cause for a big security hole
- Slide has to actually decode the URI, and the '/' is decoded at the same time

The only workaround I can think of is replacing the '/' which are in the file
names by some other safer character, like '_'.

Remy