Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Loïc Lefèvre <ll...@fivia.com> on 2001/08/09 11:25:56 UTC

[MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Can anyone tell me why the when using the mod_rewrite module, Tomcat
can't/don't seem to retrieve
the rewritten url and args?

As I am responsible of the migration from JServ to Tomcat, I've to write a
documentation that explain
this point...

Loïc Lefèvre

Re: [MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Posted by Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>.
Uh... the solution is the 2 items in my response (load mod_jk before
mod_rewrite, put [PT] on RewriteRules).

dwh

RE: [MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Posted by Brett Neumeier <Br...@MyPoints.com>.

Re: [MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Posted by Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>.
We found that we had to do 2 things:

1) Make sure that mod_jk was loaded into Apache *before* mod_rewrite,
which meant moving the loading of mod_jk from mod_jk.conf to Apache's
httpd.conf, and we listed it in the LoadModule and AddModule lists
*before* mod_rewrite.  That ensured that mod_rewrite got to the URL
before mod_jk did.  I'm now less convinced this is absolutely
necessary--the next item may be more important.

2) Put the [PT] (passthrough) flag on all RewriteRule lines that were
rewriting URLs to go to Tomcat.

Also, one gotcha we hit was using the same pathname for both the
incoming URLs and for the Tomcat context, e.g.
http://ourhost/ContestSignup for the URL and /ContestSignup for the
context path.  It's better (maybe required) to use a different name for
the context path, like /ContestSignupServlet.

dwh

RE: [MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Posted by Loïc Lefèvre <ll...@fivia.com>.
Hmmm,
I don't think so, the facts are the facts: Tomcat (v3.2.3 on Linux) doesn't
work
with the actual rules I use for the mod_rewrite module (apache 1.3.20).
And I precise, it works perfectly with JServ!

I am a devlopper as many of you and don't think I'm the best ^_^;
But can you then explain me why it doesn't work? I've look at the
source and found a way to solve this problem so...what should I think? :)

Regards too (for your answer :D)

Loïc Lefèvre

Re: [MOD_REWRITE] Why...

Posted by Francis Pallini <pa...@clamart.oilfield.slb.com>.