Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by justken <ju...@rogers.com> on 2002/02/05 19:37:01 UTC

Load Balanced, clustered, no error logs.

our host is using load balancing on a clustered server system, they are
using BSD and NT with some sort of OS cross bridge.

we have learned from the senior technical advisor that the errors can only
be directed to a single error_log. I have sent him my httpd.conf  file
where my error logs are routed to a log directory in each vhost container,
but am not sure this will work on a system of that nature, as i am not
nearly in a position to understand what is happening over a clustered
setup, but would assume that each server instance would have the same
httpd.conf file, and that external routers would be responsible for
splitting the load across each server. the log files are then mirrored
across the rest of the system as time progresses - am i correct in thinking
this?

If someone could let me know specifically if logging errors to a directory
using the vhost container on a load balanced and is in some way limited,
buggy, or disabled. and or a work around, i would be greatly indebted.

If this is contained in the manuals, please direct me there, as i have not
gotten much past single server hosting for my own purposes. and don't
really know where to start looking, and this is fairly important to me. I
have searched for information on clustering and apache, however it seems
that nothing is explained about the ramifications of clustering, except
sharing issues.

thanks

ken easson
justken.net
justken@rogers.com
justken web programming and technical support.

RE: Load Balanced, clustered, no error logs.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: justken [mailto:justken@rogers.com]
>
> If someone could let me know specifically if logging errors to a
> directory
> using the vhost container on a load balanced and is in some way limited,
> buggy, or disabled. and or a work around, i would be greatly indebted.

There is nothing in apached which prevents having a separate error log for
each virtual host.  A few things to consider:

1. It sounds like a rather complicated setup.  I have no idea exactly what
your ISP is doing, so it is impossible to tell if there is some non-apache
related restrction.

2. Log files should not be placed in non-root writable directories because
of serious security issues.

3. Sites with a very large number of vhosts sometimes need to log to a
single file because they do not have enough file descriptors available to
log separately.

Joshua.