Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org> on 2016/08/03 02:22:18 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] Pipeline Runner API design doc

Hi,
thanks for putting this together. Now that I'm seeing them side by side I
think the Avro schema looks a lot nicer than the JSON schema but it's
probably alright since we don't want to change this often (as you already
said). The advantage of JSON is that the (intermediate) plans can easily be
inspected by humans.

I think at this stage there is not much left to discuss on the plan
representation. To me it seems pretty straightforward what has to be in
there and that is already more or less in. The only real thing missing are
triggers but there isn't yet a discussion about how that is going to work
out, correct?

Cheers,
Aljoscha

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Yes, there are a few things "TODO" including aggregators and triggers.
Triggers can either be an inline syntax tree or flattened and using
"pointers" like the transforms and PCollections. With coders we've hit
issues with the nesting and repetition that leads us to keep them
flattened. Essentially unreadable without un-flattening, so I would keep
things un-flattened if we weren't worried.

Kenn