Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Eric Emminger <er...@ericemminger.com> on 2003/04/24 18:21:26 UTC

Re: I am crazy to character encoding!

Zoltan

Zidarics Zoltan wrote:
> I have _permanent_ character encoding problem with bytea type fields in
> postgresql.
> I send a lot of message to turbine_user and torque_user list but I didn't get
> any response.

I responded. :)

> If I send _same_ string to varchar and longvarchar field, varchar is well
> coded, but longvarchar is not!

First, are you sure you need a *binary* string in PostgreSQL, rather
than just a large normal-character string, such as text? The docs for
PostgreSQL describe this.

"A binary string is a sequence of octets that does not have either a
character set or collation associated with it. Bytea  specifically
allows storing octets of zero value and other "non-printable" octets."

http://www14.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/datatype-binary.html

Let me know whether or not you absolutely need to use the binary string
bytea type. We'll go from there.

Eric

Re: I am crazy to character encoding!

Posted by Zidarics Zoltan <za...@vili.pmmf.hu>.
Hello,

Eric Emminger at 2003. április 25. 17.01 wrote:
> Zidarics Zoltan wrote:

> >>Are you using the upload service or Commons FileUpload? I think those
> >>will help.
> >
> > No I am using turbine-2.2 which is using upload service.
> > Can I use commons fileupload in T2.2 or it is useable in T2.3?
>
> I don't know. I don't use either; I'm just aware that they exist.
ok, many thanks for your help, I'll try it.
--
thx,

Re: I am crazy to character encoding!

Posted by Eric Emminger <er...@ericemminger.com>.

Posted by Zidarics Zoltan <za...@vili.pmmf.hu>.
Hello,

Posted by Eric Emminger <er...@ericemminger.com>.

Posted by Zidarics Zoltan <za...@vili.pmmf.hu>.
Hello,
Eric Emminger at 2003. április 24. 18.21 wrote:
> > I have _permanent_ character encoding problem with bytea type fields in
> > postgresql.
> > I send a lot of message to turbine_user and torque_user list but I didn't
> > get any response.
>
> I responded. :)
Oh thx! :-)

> > If I send _same_ string to varchar and longvarchar field, varchar is well
> > coded, but longvarchar is not!
>
> First, are you sure you need a *binary* string in PostgreSQL, rather
> than just a large normal-character string, such as text? The docs for
> PostgreSQL describe this.

Yes (!!) this was the great solve, I tried this. Unfortunately I am not a
Postgresql expert. Now I changed longvarchar to clob, and it works good! Many
thanks to you.

But I have a new problem :-)

There is a form which is an _upload_ form, and in this case character encoding
is wrong too :-(

I am using tomcat filter which is setting request.characterencoding to
iso-8859-2 (thx to Maciej Leks)
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=9840

When I get character encoding in doInsert:

public void doInsert(RunData data, Context context) throws Exception {
     Log.debug(LOGHEADER+"doInsert enter,
code:"+data.getRequest().getCharacterEncoding());
it is: iso-8859-2

and when I try to list values in hex,
   ZUtil.hexLog("nishort:", data.getParameters().getBytes("nitem_0nishort"));
I get:
nishort: bytes:ffffffe1 72 76 ffffffed 7a 74 3f 72 3f 20 74 fffffffc 6b
 fffffff6 72 66 fffffffa 72 fffffff3 67 ffffffe9 70

first 3f is need to be an o with double acute, and second is need to be an u
with double acute.

Are there any solving to do multipart form encoding well?

--
thx,