Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/11 01:58:15 UTC

[OT] Hosting

It's that time again. I need a cheap hosting for development & testing of a
low memory profile T5 app. Prices of VPS plans have been dropping in recent
years. I'm rather suspicious of ultra-low ($2-$5/month) shared Tomcat plans
but could try out one that's found to be reliable. I've used Tektonic's VPS
for different things for years but looks like there are cheaper
alternatives today, for example http://www.interserver.net/vps/. Can
anybody recommend anything else? AWS is not a good option for me as the
instance will be doing something all the time. Openshift is too
restrictive, I need more control on the container configuration. Jelastic
is my favorite by far in terms of flexibility but too expensive for this
type.

Kalle

Re: [OT] Hosting

Posted by Stephen Nutbrown <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm using amazon aws on their free tier which is free for a year, then I
don't think too expensive after but it's worth checking out if it's just
for dev or staging for now.

At the moment my project is mainly just me messing around and isn't
anything serious,  but it seems a lot faster than I expected.
sufc.football, swfc.football, nottinghamforest.football and afcb.football
all point to one Web app on amazon, using hibernate which connects to
Amazon rds (also free for now).

I've also used ovh and they've been really good, you get ssh access and
pretty much free rein to set up whatever you like. For my last project we
set it up to pull our project from bitbucket when we committed to master,
build it and run it,  it was very nice to have the freedom to set that up,
with Amazon I think that kind of thing may be more difficult but I just
upload the war file via their website and it does the rest.

I have a friend using digital river too,  I'm sure they have some kind of
student promotion and they seem really happy,  I've not used them though.
If you do happen to be a student,  it may be worth doing a bit of googling
for student offers.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: [OT] Hosting