Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Geir Øvsttun (AS/ETO)" <ge...@ericsson.com> on 2003/09/16 12:21:25 UTC

Can access tomcat locally but not from another machine

New to Tomcat and have an initial problem:
Can access tomcat locally but not from another machine

Setup is :

Two machines (Host and Client) connected to a corporate intranet

Host (Win XP) is running Tomcat 4.1.27 installed from binary distribution
Installation verified by accessing the tomcat default page using
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp

Using ping both ways I have verified that both machines are ping'able
from each other

When accessing tomcat on Host from the Client (Win 2000)
http://xxx.yyy.zzz.www:8080/index.jsp (actual IP adress hidden in this mail)
I get an TCP error message page :
"There was a communication problem. The system was unable to communicate with the server."

I have no overview of the network components in use between the two machines

Suppose it is
either
a network configuration problem (My company is very strict on security issues)
or
a tomcat configuration problem

Any suggestions ?

Geir :-)

Re: Can access tomcat locally but not from another machine

Posted by James Harman <ha...@comcast.net>.
Or it could be that the xp firewall is turned on an not allowing the
8080 connection externally.

Posted by James Harman <ha...@comcast.net>.