Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marco Pöhler <ma...@poehlerpoehler.de> on 2003/06/18 19:52:06 UTC

disable session support in Tomcat

Hi,

Is it possible to disable the session support (means no cookies and no
JSESSIONIDs) somewhere in Tomcat ?
This is may be a simply question, but I couldn't found any hint in the docs
and the list archive.

Thanks in advance

Marco

P.S.: I'm using 4.1.12 on lInux

Re: disable session support in Tomcat

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.
Just out of curiosity, why?

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 01:52 pm, Marco Pöhler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to disable the session support (means no cookies and no
> JSESSIONIDs) somewhere in Tomcat ?
> This is may be a simply question, but I couldn't found any hint in the docs
> and the list archive.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Marco
>
> P.S.: I'm using 4.1.12 on lInux

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE SCORPEO USER CONFERENCE!
September 18-19, 2003 in Boston/Brookline, MA
Additional Training Sessions held September 17, 2003
More info >> http://www.fwdco.com/services/Uconf03/default.shtm

Re: disable session support in Tomcat

Posted by Mikael Blomqvist <mi...@peachpuff.com>.
Not specifically within Tomcat (since a lot of pages require it).
But you can stop your pages from forcing the creation of new sessions (and thereby if no pages request a session you wont have any sessions).

>From JSP 1.2 spec chapter 2.10.1, table JSP2.1:

session
Indicates that the page requires participation in an (http) session. If  true  then the implicit script language variable named  session  of type javax.servlet.http.HttpSession references the current/new session for the page. If  false  then the page does not participate in a session; the  session  implicit variable is unavailable, and any reference to it within the body of the JSP page is illegal and shall result in a fatal translation error. Default is  true .

ie, do <%@ page session="false" %> on all your pages to "disable" sessions.

/M