Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Andy Grove <gr...@roguewave.com> on 2007/07/17 09:14:24 UTC

Status of C++ code generation

I'm currently looking at some of the issues that my collegaue, Michael
Yoder, raised regarding the use of propietary methods in the SDO header
files. In particular, I'm looking at the setUserData / getUserData
methods in DataObject.h [TUSCANY-1370]. These methods could easily be
moved to the DataObjectImpl.h header instead. The methods are only
referenced in code generated static client code (generated by
DataFactoryImpl::generateInterface).

However, I'm nervous about making the change because the current sdotest
suite does not excercise the static code generated classes enough to
call these methods. For instance, if I change the code generator to call
a non-existant method "foo" instead of getUserData or setUserData then
the current tests still pass.

What is the status of the code generator? The Tuscany web site
(http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sdo-cpp-faq.html) states that there
are no plans to support this feature. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Andy.

RE: Status of C++ code generation

Posted by Andy Grove <gr...@roguewave.com>.
Thanks Pete. Follow on questions:

1. Would you like me to remove the DataFactoryImpl::generateInterface()
method?

2. Would there be any objection to moving the set/getUserData methods to
DataObjectImpl.h given that these are currently tuscany-specific
extensions to the spec? If they end up becoming part of the spec then
they could be added back into DataObject.h.

Thanks,

Andy.

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.
Pete, Graham,

Thanks for that. I'll make those changes today.

Andy.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Andy, I guess you are clear to go ahead and make those changes.

Cheers,

On 17/07/07, Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Pete, sounds good to me.
>
> On 17/07/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Graham,
> >
> > so if we move these methods to DataObjectImpl you should still be able
> > to use them by casting your DataObjectPtr to the impl? I think we
> > should do this in SDO HEAD along with the other 2.1 spec changes.
> > There should be only a small amount of rework required when you move
> > the PHP code up to use a 2.1 spec SDO.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > On 17/07/07, Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Andy/Pete,
> > >
> > > Yes, we do use this method in the PHP SDO code - thanks for remembering us :-)
> > >
> > > I think we need to draw a distinction between SDO C++ for applications
> > > and SDO C++ as an embeddable library.  The SDO C++ spec covers the
> > > former and therefore does not talk about get/setUserData.  The library
> > > role of SDO C++ enables us to more easily write native SDO
> > > implementations for other languages (PHP, Ruby, etc...) and is IMO
> > > very important (I guess I would say that :-) ).
> > >
> > > Get/setUserData is used by SDO PHP to manage the relationship between
> > > the PHP SDO Objects and C++ SDO Objects.  Earlier versions of the PHP
> > > Extension tried to manage this separately, but this solution was
> > > complex and prone to problems.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Graham.

> > --
> > Pete

Pete

Re: Status of C++ code generation

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Pete, sounds good to me.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Graham,

> [...]

> > > files. In particular, I'm looking at the setUserData / getUserData
> > > methods in DataObject.h [TUSCANY-1370]. These methods could easily be
> > > moved to the DataObjectImpl.h header instead. The methods are only
> > > referenced in code generated static client code (generated by
> > > DataFactoryImpl::generateInterface).
> > >
> > > However, I'm nervous about making the change because the current sdotest
> > > suite does not excercise the static code generated classes enough to
> > > call these methods. For instance, if I change the code generator to call
> > > a non-existant method "foo" instead of getUserData or setUserData then
> > > the current tests still pass.
> > >
> > > What is the status of the code generator? The Tuscany web site
> > > (http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sdo-cpp-faq.html) states that there
> > > are no plans to support this feature. Is this correct?

Pete

Re: Status of C++ code generation

Posted by Graham Charters <gc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Andy/Pete,