Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org> on 2016/07/15 02:36:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer for services and Apache Slider

Hi, Hadoop YARN community!

(Cross-posting across Hadoop and Slider communities)

I opened a JIRA a little while ago to pursue a native YARN framework for services: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-5079.

It is part of a bigger effort that a bunch of us YARN community members are interested in making progress on: YARN-4692 - [Umbrella] Simplified and first-class support for services in YARN.

The idea is that with our current attention on making services first­-class, it's time to take a fresh look at how we can make Apache Hadoop YARN support services well out of the box. I’ve been looking at various possibilities - ranging from a custom new framework room scratch to using one of the existing projects - and stopped at Apache Slider (http://slider.incubator.apache.org) given its association with some of the YARN community members (Steve Loughran, Devaraj Das, Arun C Murthy, myself etc.).

Slider client & AM already handles a great deal of the functionality that we need. I posit that assimilating the client, ApplicationMaster etc of an existing framework like Apache Slider can serve our purpose really well. My early informal discussions about this with few Hadoop and Slider community members yielded generally favourable feedback.

The Apache Slider incubator community also discussed this and expressed generally positive interest in YARN taking up Slider’s key pieces, you can see that discussion here: https://s.apache.org/0hoh.

So in summary, we are looking to the following

- Code
   — ‘Graduate' key pieces (Slider client, AM) of Apache Slider into Apache Hadoop for providing a native services experiences in YARN
   — Leave for now some of the pieces behind in Apache Slider - (a) Slider agent as we won’t need it, (b) Slider packages that need more deliberation in terms of where they will live in the long term.
   — Create a branch in YARN, copy this code over into a new module(s), and work towards completing a functioning app running on YARN.

- Communities & releases
   — Good thing is that many of Apache Slider community members are already seasoned folk in the Apache Hadoop ecosystem projects. For those committers & PMC in Slider that are not yet Hadoop committers / PMC, without complicating things much, a proposed path forward is active participation in the branch (as branch committers?) and eventually in mainline YARN and thus go through a natural progression to committership / PMC. Given that most of the members are stalwarts in the Apache communities, this should be a cinch IMO.
   — The work on this new code can start, and depending on its state, and assuming that the experiment succeeds, can be merged into trunk and later picked up in the next nearest & feasible Apache Hadoop release.
   — While the work on forked-over-code goes on till we have a functioning app, the current Apache Slider project continues to live, with supporting releases etc. At some point in the future, when things become clearer, more decisions can be taken on the (parts left behind in the) incubating project’s future.

Thoughts?

Thanks
+Vinod

Re: [DISCUSS] YARN-5079 : Native YARN framework layer for services and Apache Slider

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
If you see comments from Gour (of Apache Slider), that seems like the general direction: "All that would be expected is to migrate the app-packages to the agent-less version. Of course the Slider community will do the migration for the current app-packages in the Slider codebase.”

Whether this means taking an existing package and run it as is on the newer framework remains to be seen. One possible solution is to just support today’s Slider framework on newer YARN. That way if you have an existing app-package, it continues to run on the newer cluster, but for getting some of the newer functionality, you may have to move to the newer package.

My personal take is that it will take a bit of effort to make all of this happen, but is a very important goal to support existing users and their applications.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.
+1 as a step towards better service support in YARN.

Posted by Varun Vasudev <vv...@apache.org>.
+1. This should go a long way to help running services on YARN.

-Varun

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
An interesting proposal, we can continue this discussion on the Slider dev lists.

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal as:

1) We definitely need first class support for long running services on YARN.
2) We need to surface the support we are building in an easy to consume
format to app developers as YARN APIs IMHO is too low-level for direct
end-developer consumption.
3) Slider is the obvious choice for (2) (echoing Vinod/Gour).
3) At the same time we need to make sure that other *frameworks *like
Apache REEF can also build directly on the native services support in YARN
as there might be custom scenarios (in our case ML services) that cannot
all be satisfied by Slider alone.

I would like to think of Slider integration as a production grade reference
implementation of services on YARN akin to Nexus/Surface lines of devices
for Android/Windows :).

Posted by Subramaniam V K <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal as:

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by "jonmaron@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "jonmaron@gmail.com" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Yes, that’s the general goal for YARN-4692 also!

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
+1
It is definitely a step in the right direction and it's about time YARN
recognizes services as first-class citizens.
I would also like to see this effort encompass not just services but also
general long-lived applications such as say storm/heron topologies, samza
and possibly support for frameworks like REEF.

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
This sounds like a good plan for ongoing existence of the code in both the places, Gour!

Thanks
+Vinod

Posted by Varun Vasudev <vv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the discussion and the feedback, everyone!

I sense a general consensus, so am going to go ahead with the branch proposal.

Please regard this as the conclusion of the discussion here. If you have more inputs, feel free to jump on to the JIRA YARN-5079!

Thanks again,
+Vinod

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.
+1. Merging the core parts of Slider into YARN should help with faster
development on service-oriented features.

Posted by Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wangda Tan <wh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhihai Xu <zh...@uber.com>.
+1. Looking forward to this new feature,this will open a door for Yarn to
support more use cases.

zhihai

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gour Saha <gs...@hortonworks.com>.
The API layer effort as in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-4793
is REST, defined in swagger format (the first draft version is uploaded to
YARN-4793). Proposal is to source control this as the entry point for the
APIs. The server side stubs (Java) will be generated from this definition,
and used for the server side API implementation.

The client side stubs can also be generated from this swagger format in a
wide range of languages -
http://swagger.io/swagger-codegen/

https://github.com/swagger-api/swagger-codegen/tree/master

-Gour