Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ru...@infineon.com on 2004/09/21 11:23:20 UTC

Confusing behaviour with import

Hi *,

I just came to the following issue:

Imagine a small project called 'testprj' with two files, 'test1.c' and
'test2.c', that reside inside the folder testprj/

testprj/
|- test1.c
|- test2.c

when doing an 'svn import testprj/  <repos>', the files test1.c and
test2.c get imported directly into <repos> without creating the folder
testprj in <repos>. This behaviour can be seen in the various GUI tools,
too. You mark 'testprj', say import to <repos>, and testprj/ is not
imported, only the two files.

In lager projects with subdirs, these subdirs are created in the
repository.

The command line svn command import can be understood to "import this
project under that name into repos", so specifying svn import testprj/
<repos>/testprj/ is something you can get used to, but as all the gui
tools show this behavior too, this is misleading. Marking testprj/ and
pressing import behaves like I would expect from marking everything
unter testprj/ (test1.c and test2.c) and then pressing import.

I have fallen into this trap several times now and I guess nearly every
new user will do so, too.

What do you think? a problem with the various gui clients or something
to improve in svn itself?

Regards
Martin

Re: Confusing behaviour with import

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.

Runge.External2@infineon.com wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I just came to the following issue:
>
> Imagine a small project called 'testprj' with two files, 'test1.c' and
> 'test2.c', that reside inside the folder testprj/
>
> testprj/
> |- test1.c
> |- test2.c
>
> when doing an 'svn import testprj/  <repos>', the files test1.c and
> test2.c get imported directly into <repos> without creating the folder
> testprj in <repos>. This behaviour can be seen in the various GUI tools,
> too. You mark 'testprj', say import to <repos>, and testprj/ is not
> imported, only the two files.

If you do svn import . <repos>, what would you expect ?  The command I
wrote is the exact same command as yours, except mine needs to be in the
right folder for that to work.

Hope that helps,
François