Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by pt <pl...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/07 05:15:39 UTC

Big update to project currently under version control?

Hi All,

Recently Wordpress released version 2.1 and I went through the process of
updating my local copy (version 2.0.5) of Wordpress to the latest release.
This copy of Wordpress was being Subversioned, mainly so I could keep track
of changes I'd made along the way to core files and themes, etc.

The simplest way for me to upgrade was to copy the files I'd changes across
to a clean install of WP 2.1, but now I'm faced with the problem that my
working local copy of WP is now in a directory that isn't being
Subversioned. I could create a whole new repository, but I'd prefer to be
able to continue using the repository I'd previously been using for 2.0.5 -
I'm just not sure how to copy all of those files back into the
2.0.5directory to bring it up to date.

In particular, I'm worried that files may have been removed from 2.1 that
existed in 2.0.5, so a straight directory-to-directory copy isn't going to
work.

So, I'm now wondering if there's an easier / preferred way of achieving
this?

Any help immensely appreciated!

Much warmth,

pt

Re: Big update to project currently under version control?

Posted by pt <pl...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/07, pt <pl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I hadn't read about vendor branches and / or svn_load_dirs.pl. Some of
> this goes over my head - I've only ever used svn for personal projects and
> only so I can keep track of local changes I've made, in case I decide I've
> screwed something up, down the track.

Hmmm. Well, I eventually gave up on the perl script in favor of writing a
fairly simple console app in c# to take me through removing the files and
directories I no longer needed in my repository and then copying across the
files and directories from the upgrade.

Thanks to any and all who gave my questions some thought.

Posted by pt <pl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ryan,

No, I hadn't read about vendor branches and / or svn_load_dirs.pl. Some of
this goes over my head - I've only ever used svn for personal projects and
only so I can keep track of local changes I've made, in case I decide I've
screwed something up, down the track.

If my setup is something like this:

Repository in c:\subversion\voodoologic

Versioned files (ie, with all the ".svn" subdirectories) in
"k:\xampp\htdocs\voodoologic"

New fully working copy with lots of external updates in
"k:\xampp\htdocs\wp21"

Should I be issuing something like:

svn_load_dirs.pl files:///subversion/voodoologic k:/xampp/htdocs/voodoologic
k:/xampp/htdocs/wp21

Any help appreciated!

All the best,

pt