Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Spencer <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/07 01:46:45 UTC

Indexing Non-Textual Data

Hi,

I'm new to Lucene, so forgive me if this is a newbie question. I have a
dataset composed of several thousand lists of 128 integer features, each
list associated with a class label. Would it be possible to use Lucene as a
classifier, by indexing the label with respect to these integer features,
and then classify a new list by finding the most similar labels with Lucene?

I'm specifically interested in doing so through the PyLucene API, so I've
been going through the PyLucene samples, but they only seem to involve
indexing text, not continuous features (understandably). Could anyone point
me to an example that indexes non-textual data?

I think the project Lire (http://www.semanticmetadata.net/lire/) is using
Lucene to do something similar to this, although with an emphasis on image
features. I've dug into their code a little, but I'm not a strong Java
programmer, so I'm not sure how they're pulling it off, nor how I might
translate this into the PyLucene API. In your opinion, is this a practical
use of Lucene?

Regards,
Chris

Re: Indexing Non-Textual Data

Posted by Chris Spencer <ch...@gmail.com>.
My question wasn't just about classification. I'm asking, is there a way to
classify non-textual data with Lucene? Yes, I know how to Google, and I've
read the mailing list logs. All of those results only concern classifying
simple text, not arbitrary numeric features.

Regards,
Chris

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.