Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/07/11 12:35:31 UTC

Releasing 2.0.3?

Hi,

with the help of Stuart we now seem to have solved the JDK 1.3/1.4 issues.
Thanks Stuart!

Now, we can go on planning the 2.0.3 release...

Building Cocoon now requires to set a new build property "jvm-target"
correctly
to either "13" or "14". When doing this you get either a version targetted
for jdk 1.2 upto 1.3 or jdk 1.4.
I tried to automate this as ant detects which jvm is used to build Cocoon
but failed in testing the specification. It is possible to use the system
property "java.specification.version" which returns "1.2", "1.3" or "1.4".
But then we have to distribute different versions of the jar files for
all these possible values as we can't compare values with Ant.

Ok, anyway, it works this way and we can see for the 2.1 release if we
have a better solution.

So, we need do to the following:

a) Testing if everything works, espcially with regards to the different
   JVMs - I did a quick SQL test with both versions and they both
   worked.

b) Update the documentation to include the "jvm-target" property etc. This
   should also go into the README

c) Layout the distribution

So, any volunteer for a) and b) is very very welcome!!

Let's get to c):
Currently, we have a binary and a source distribution - so we can either
c.1) Make two big binary distributions (for 1.2/1.3 and 1.4) and a source
one.
c.2) Make one big binary distrubution for 1.2/1.3 and a diff or update for
1.4
     and a source one.
The easiest way would be c.1)

What do you think?

Ah, and finally a release date. If no problems or big bugs are found, I
would propose monday, 15th of July.

Carsten

RE: Releasing 2.0.3?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 06:35  AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> > So, we need do to the following:
> >
> > a) Testing if everything works, espcially with regards to the different
> >    JVMs - I did a quick SQL test with both versions and they both
> >    worked.
> >
> > b) Update the documentation to include the "jvm-target" property etc.
> > This
> >    should also go into the README
> >
> > c) Layout the distribution
>
>    d) Check your docs for any 2.1-specific references and flag them (with
> <note> or similar).
>
> I may not get through each and every doc, so if you know the docs you
> have
> contributed have 2.1-specific content (either the doc as a whole or
> specific
> content within), please flag them as such. A while back, we decided on
> this list
> to sync HEAD and release docs to make it easier on committers working on
> docs.
> This included the provision that all 2.1-oriented docs would be noted to
> readers.
> I have added this info to a number of docs already, but I haven't
> concluded my general
> inventory of *all* docs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I
> realize this is a bit of a
> manual hack, and I look forward to Forrest transition (coming soon) and
> solving this
> more elegantly, but I think the priority ATM should be user-friendly
> docs, however
> we achieve it.

+1

> FYI, the only docs not synced remain changes.xml, todo.xml,
> sitemap.xmap, installing/index.xml, and
> installing/jars.xml.

changes.xml can't be synced as their are different changes to the
different versions.

> > Ah, and finally a release date. If no problems or big bugs are found, I
> > would propose monday, 15th of July.
>
> +1. Also, Carsten, let's include some language with the release notice
> about all the new
> docs accompanying it. We have *lots* of new content since 2.0.2. I'll
> provide a count if that helps!

A list would be better...but, yes, that's a good idea. Can someone
help us here?

> FYI: I'll update the live site for docs on Sunday if that works with
> this schedule.

No, it doesn't help - because the docs need to be updated *after*
the release as we have for example the version number somewhere in
the docs etc. and it might be that something goes wrong during
the release on monday.

I won't prevent you from updating the docs on Sunday, but we need
to update them again after the release.

Carsten

Re: Releasing 2.0.3?

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, July 11, 2002, at 06:35  AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So, we need do to the following:
>
> a) Testing if everything works, espcially with regards to the different
>    JVMs - I did a quick SQL test with both versions and they both
>    worked.
>
> b) Update the documentation to include the "jvm-target" property etc.
> This
>    should also go into the README
>
> c) Layout the distribution

   d) Check your docs for any 2.1-specific references and flag them (with
<note> or similar).

I may not get through each and every doc, so if you know the docs you
have
contributed have 2.1-specific content (either the doc as a whole or
specific
content within), please flag them as such. A while back, we decided on
this list
to sync HEAD and release docs to make it easier on committers working on
docs.
This included the provision that all 2.1-oriented docs would be noted to
readers.
I have added this info to a number of docs already, but I haven't
concluded my general
inventory of *all* docs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I
realize this is a bit of a
manual hack, and I look forward to Forrest transition (coming soon) and
solving this
more elegantly, but I think the priority ATM should be user-friendly
docs, however
we achieve it.

FYI, the only docs not synced remain changes.xml, todo.xml,
sitemap.xmap, installing/index.xml, and
installing/jars.xml.

> Ah, and finally a release date. If no problems or big bugs are found, I
> would propose monday, 15th of July.

+1. Also, Carsten, let's include some language with the release notice
about all the new
docs accompanying it. We have *lots* of new content since 2.0.2. I'll
provide a count if that helps!

FYI: I'll update the live site for docs on Sunday if that works with
this schedule.

Diana