Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/07 05:59:13 UTC

Reminder on list policy

Speaking as a list moderator (yes we do have them) I'd like to remind
all posters that threats will not be tolerated on this list.

Regards, Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:47 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> Speaking as a list moderator (yes we do have them) I'd like to remind
>> all posters that threats will not be tolerated on this list.
>>

> You can ask INFRA to add a link to the list conduct guidelines
> http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html
> to the footer of every list post.

+1 I think this would be an excellent idea!

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Meyer <jo...@pueblocomputing.com>.
On 1/8/2014 1:47 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 08:44:26AM -0600, TN Patriot wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:47:54 -0500
>> "Think" <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The fact that...
>>    You go on, and on, and on, and on, blathering and whining when someone disagrees
>>    with you, yet anything you seem to want to say is just fine. You're one of those
>>    'do as I say, not as I do' types. That's the reason you start spewing about law
>>    and censoring and threatening the moment anyone disagrees with you in any way you
>>    deem not stroking your ego nicely or softly enough. It's all you have - threats of
>>    censorhip, laws, getting someone shut down, yada yada. You believe you can
>>    scare-tactic people with your threats, but I don't scare and have been around
>>    people like you for a looooong time.
> He/she is exhibiting typical troll behavior. They will drag the thread
> out as long as possible. They want as many replies as they can get. It's
> an ego trip. Hence the frequent warning "don't feed the trolls". I do
> have to admit that this one's good. He/she is more irritating than most.
> If it keeps up I really wish the moderators would do something about it.
>
> BTW, I say he/she because a troll can always mask their
> identity/gender.

Best response is typically a good plonking.

Posted by Linda Hull <ch...@gmail.com>.
In the 1980s and more in the 90s, Unix and Linux developers began the
'Developer Attitude'  - "We know it all and you are just too stupid to find
it out yet. Go read the (curse word) manual, you misbegotten worm!"

Sadly, this attitude became the "Cool thing to do", continuing in many Help
forums, Email, and on IRC.

We are only now, in the 21st Century, coming to realize that this attitude,
albeit in long-time practice by many, isn't such a good idea.

Users want reasonable attitudes from helpers.

There are more alternatives now than ever before. A person doesn't have to
take endless abuse to get (or give) help.

In fact, if helpers and forum managers will take the time to be pleasant
and listen, and reply decently to normal user's questions, they will be
rewarded with increased activity and usually more people using and enjoying
the product.

I mentioned IRC because the Irc.Freenode.Org #OpenOffice channel is often
empty of helpers and if anyone feels like answering a few question he or
she might be able to please a lot of people.

Thank you everyone for providing assistance to all users of Apache
OpenOffice.

Linda

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian Waldner <bh...@gmail.com>.
Delete!

Posted by Robert Holtzman <ho...@cox.net>.

Posted by Think <th...@gmail.com>.
A moderator who is asking for calm, shouldn’t be using exclamation marks.

Try educating the users on the policies of the list and how following those policies will keep the list safe for all to comment.

Also, provide the emails of all moderators and explain that the complaint process drives investigation into specific comments and instances, and that the group of moderators are not actually reading the entirety of the listserv at any point, because of their individual workloads. Hence, if someone feels bullied or harassed, they have to complain to a moderator. How would they complaint to a moderator without knowing the email addresses of the moderators?

Does OO send you a file up front telling you the rules and policies of the list  and how to remediate problems?

I would say you just failed as a moderator for this list.

I know that sounds cold and hard hearted, however I would like this list to work, which is why I posted in the first place.

Brenda Hart Neihouse

Please calm down! The only result of fueling the fire of such
discussions will be that users, who are solely interested in finding
support here, will leave.

Peter

On 01/08/2014 10:44 PM, TN Patriot wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:47:54 -0500
> "Think" <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The fact that...
>
>    You go on, and on, and on, and on, blathering and whining when someone disagrees
>    with you, yet anything you seem to want to say is just fine. You're one of those
>    'do as I say, not as I do' types. That's the reason you start spewing about law
>    and censoring and threatening the moment anyone disagrees with you in any way you
>    deem not stroking your ego nicely or softly enough. It's all you have - threats of
>    censorhip, laws, getting someone shut down, yada yada. You believe you can
>    scare-tactic people with your threats, but I don't scare and have been around
>    people like you for a looooong time.
>
>    By the way, that's *your* prerogative to be exposed to the world by putting your
>    name out there on the internet, no one's accused you of being intelligent yet. Me,
>    I don't put mine out there because it's unnecessary and I don't fall for baseless
>    and petulent little barbs like that particular kind. Have you told *everyone* you
>    e-mail, interact with on forums/websites, and any other way on the internet to
>    expose their real names so anyone on the planet can get information about them,
>    whether you like them or not? Yeah, I didn't think so.

---

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Posted by Jim Plante <ji...@me.com>.
Or for the moderators to simply suspend your subscription. Please follow your own advice. I'm getting tired of deleting you.

Posted by Think <th...@gmail.com>.
All it will take is for the moderators to step up and ensure that this list is fair, equitable, open to all; that people who post on this list will not be bullied or ravaged, no matter how "stupid" or simple the question.

As one of those who is keeping this issue alive, I fully understand how my advocacy and the advocacy of others may be interfering with the "normal" business of this list. However, the "normal" business of this list included people berating newbies, bullying people into submission and being quiet, and generally harassing anyone who dared to step into the ring and say "enough." Obviously, some of those people have gone after me and tried to bully me. What they do not realize is that I am "Unbulliable." I deal with much bigger monsters in the real world and routinely stand up to them as well. Hence, I am relentless.

I am charging the moderators to do their jobs, for the people on this list to be civil, and for politeness and helpfulness to be qualities that are cultivated. I know that this is contrary to what is going on in the world, but I do know that there are good people out there.

When I get a full list of all moderators and the names and emails of the people who choose moderators, I will take this offlist, as I have already done in some cases. But what I am hearing from the moderators is not positive as far as the list is concerned. And of note: I was told by one moderator that any challenges to the moderators as to their job performance should be done on-list. More mob rule, instead of ensuring the policies and rules are adhered to.

Believe me, I, as all of us, have better things to do with my time. But I, as many of you, have an investment in using this product. (In my case I want to specify it as the software for all libraries, nationwide in the US to utilize for an ADA compliance project.) Those of us with an investment in this product, also have an investment in a safe, open environment in which to get help. THAT wasn't happening before I typed anything. That is why I posted.

Asking questions and getting help doesn’t matter if you have to get bullied to get the help. If that happens, this listserv and the product itself is no better than Microsoft. And yes, the Federal government has guidelines about bullying. Regardless of the server this project is housed on, when emails go to US recipients, certain laws have to be followed.

Brenda Hart Neihouse

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Think <th...@gmail.com>.
The fact that the attached email did not merit a quick censure is beyond me.

Anyone who takes pot shots at a specific person (not a job function) should be banned from the list. That is a general guideline for most listservs.

Ad hominem. TN Patriot should look it up. If you do legal work or try to teach the law via cartoons, you should understand the basic tenets of philosophy.

When you attack a particular person, you invalidate your argument.

So, by attacking me you invalidate your argument that what I am saying is without merit.

But then again, you know it has merit, which is why you responded as you did.

Brenda Hart Neihouse

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 19:14:34 -0500
"Think" <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

  <SNIP pompous bloviation>

  Aaaaahhhhh...that's better.

Posted by Think <th...@gmail.com>.
Stating applicable law is not a threat, neither is the promise to engage in a certain (legal) action should a certain action be taken by someone else.

What I did is called free speech. And it is protected speech. Especially since I quoted law and policy.

It is the policy of all US ISP's to ban users who flame/harass/etc. other people via the ISP's resources, i.e. using email to flame someone.

There is also a federal law regarding harassment/bullying and using electronic resources to do so. I would have to look it up. But I am certain you can Google it.

So we have a FAIL from the moderators as far as what constitutes a threat. And we have a FAIL from the moderators for reading my verbiage about ensuring that I use all methods to protect myself on this listserv, and to protect my right to my free speech on this listserv, as a threat. So the moderators have now engaged in an inappropriate warning.

My warning someone that the law exists and that I will use it is most decidedly NOT a threat. You have just now chilled other people's free speech and their exercise of applicable law to protect themselves. (I said it twice in case someone missed it the first time.)

We also have a FAIL from the moderators as to them appropriately doing their job-- that is to keep people safe on this listserv, to ensure the rules are followed and to ensure that people know what the rules are. Oh, yeah and not acting in such a way as to "chill" protected speech. (I think that is number three, but in a slightly different context -- overall fail in doing their job.)

Brenda Hart Neihouse