Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2008/02/16 00:22:58 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPD won't start. Fails with error message.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Mike - W0TMW <mi...@crucis.net> wrote:
> I'm building a server based on Fedora 7 and httpd won't start.  I'm
>  running out of space on another server and this one is intended as a
>  replacement.  I've looked through the archives, FAQs and while this
>  issue is mentioned, that's all I can find---a mention with no help for
>  resolution.
>
>  The error is:
>
>  Starting httpd: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to
>  address 192.168.1.300:80 No listening sockets available, shutting down.
>  Unable to open logs              [Failed]
>
>  I have another webserver that works just fine.  The log directory have
>  identical owners/groups permissions so there shouldn't a permissions
>  problem for the logfiles.  Plus the httpd.conf is identical. One works
>  the other servers doesn't.
>
>  Could anyone point me towards resolving this?

I believe the "Unable to open logs" is a red-herring caused by
Redhat's startup script. The real error is just above it. Help with
debugging the error is here:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/CouldNotBindToAddress

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] HTTPD won't start. Fails with error message.

Posted by Mike - W0TMW <mi...@crucis.net>.
I've checked using lsof and netstat and there's nothing else listening
on port 80.

mw

"Lose not thy airspeed lest the ground rises up and smites thee." - Anon.